Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 324 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2009, 10:43 AM   #3231
diyAudio Member

What is it that I could buy to put the transport in that would make it look almost professionally made- ready off the shelf that is???
Remembering I have the cumbersome looking display to attach somewhere as well.
Old 29th March 2009, 11:43 AM   #3232
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kevinkr
All of the changes I made were quite audible with my homebrew/TPA based DAC which has recently improved significantly with a change to PCM1794A chips from the PCM1798s I was previously using.
I'm currently using a dual mono TPA/Opus Wolfson 8740 and I have to say that Shiga/Opus work together very well.
Old 29th March 2009, 11:46 AM   #3233
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Erik van Voorst

Fran send me an ebony puck...and guess what...

What ebony does for an analog turntable it does for a digital turntable as well....
Great job Fran!!
Old 29th March 2009, 02:57 PM   #3234
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by audiojoy
What is it that I could buy to put the transport in that would make it look almost professionally made- ready off the shelf that is???
Remembering I have the cumbersome looking display to attach somewhere as well.

Hi

You may want to look at these cases.

http://www.autocostruire.com/catalog...67ce9f97503142

I recently purchased a couple for an Amp product but I also thought it could be a used to house the Shigaclone transport.

You will need to add some weight and this can easily be achieved by bolting a slab of granite to the base.

The build quality is really quite good for the money and the service friendly.

I hope this helps

Richard
Old 30th March 2009, 03:38 AM   #3235
diyAudio Member

Hi fellows!

Was able to buy the model 31 a week ago in a The Sourc3 store. It was the last one available while I searched on the internet through store finder. May I point to whom who may still search one that I saw a demo in a Z3llers store. They still seem to sell them.

I've been reading this thread for the past week and a half (at night time when kids are a sleep), I am now at p.38 which I find long but very captivating. I am looking forward in doing this transport the best I can but without busting the wallet and time. I would like to hear it soon with pretty much all of it's components but take my time with the chassis. So I will need your help in the upcoming weeks.

Understand that I am not very knowledged in active electronics but more in the loudspeaker design and tweaking. So some of my questions will be pretty much basic.

First, since I haven't had to to read all the pages yet and would like to probably order the parts from Digikey and Parts Connexion, I'd like to know If there is a more updated document than May 3rd 2008 from Algar emi (CD Flatfish notes)?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...36#post1468036

If not, does anyone have newer suggestions as regarding this document or to choosing different parts.

My second question refers to the transformer suggested. Rather than ordering one, so to save a bit of money, I can scrounge one from a PSU used to power up my old HP Deskjet printer. I know that it is suggested 12-24-12V outputs from Peter's PS schematic:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...75#post1500475

but the one I have available says:
Mfr. AT&T 3301A2
Input: 120 VAC 0.4A 50VA
Output: 10−0−10 VAC 2.0A 40VA

Can I possibly use this unit? If yes, will I need to change any parts value?

Third question comes from my friend. Has anyone compared the Shigaclone to a NEC CDR-602 external CD drive? Let's say, I'm very curious also. I listen to it alot and my friend has compared it to very expensive units in the past years and confirms that it scores mostly above. Sorry, I forgot which model he refered to.

Thanks and Cheers!
Old 30th March 2009, 03:20 PM   #3236
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
My current recommendation is to build the transport according to info posted here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...53#post1669753 After getting familiar with a sound, you may consider further upgrades, but most likely you won't need them.

The transformer you mention should work fine.

As to NEC CDR-602, it has a good reputation although I never had a chance to try it out, but my feeling is that properly implemented Shigaclone is completely different ball game
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 30th March 2009, 05:37 PM   #3237
diyAudio Member

Made more changes.

Removed C964, C945 and C942. No changes in sound, as expected cause these caps should be related to analog output and on-board DAC.

Swapped stock C939 100uF/10 with a ELNA RFS 100uF/25. At first, bad result, a much brighter sound, too much for me. After about 10hours, brightness has gone away in large part, the sound is good, something more in terms of body, but I'm not completely sure it's overall better than the stock.
I'll wait another 10 or 20 hours before installing again the stock cap and take the final decision about this cap.
Old 30th March 2009, 06:10 PM   #3238
brgds is offline brgds  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by m.massimo
Made more changes.

Removed C964, C945 and C942. No changes in sound, as expected cause these caps should be related to analog output and on-board DAC.

Swapped stock C939 100uF/10 with a ELNA RFS 100uF/25. At first, bad result, a much brighter sound, too much for me. After about 10hours, brightness has gone away in large part, the sound is good, something more in terms of body, but I'm not completely sure it's overall better than the stock.
I'll wait another 10 or 20 hours before installing again the stock cap and take the final decision about this cap.
This will be never ending story unless you take a closer look at the boombox schema and LC/LA data sheets and try to understand what's it all about...
Honestly, when I read such reports on juggling with caps and wasting time on completely hopeless efforts, the only thing I can say is: I feel sorry...
Old 30th March 2009, 06:14 PM   #3239
valo is offline valo  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hotiron
My apologies its called the" Pink fish media flea" You need to join to get access
Schematic here

Believe me I have checked this **** out and it rocks!

dose someone have an singleside PCB layout fore this one ?
Attached Images
File Type: gif fleapower.gif (10.8 KB, 878 views)
Old 30th March 2009, 07:18 PM   #3240
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
The PS is made on protoboard with 2 x BG STD 1000/25 caps. LM7808 regulator is attached directly to bottom panel. Two oversized brass standoffs support the mechanism:

Click the image to open in full size.

Control switches are recycled from the original boombox; I used standoffs and protoboard to mount them:

I also implemented the original display board, slightly modyfing it to fit inside the chassis:

Hi Peter,

why is there twice the same PS caps in picture #2350, your hand drawn schematic post #6 refer to 2 different values?

Thanks,

Hide this!Advertise here!