Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 301 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th February 2009, 06:32 PM   #3001
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by m.massimo
Sure, shiga q/p ratio is stellar, but I know I can listen a better sound with my system. Cause I've changed more than a component recently, I'm not sure how much is shiga fault, maybe none.
It wasn't shiga fault! It works well.
Old 21st February 2009, 08:47 AM   #3002
jitter is offline jitter  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

That's why I try to change only one thing at a time.

Speaking of which, a short time ago I replaced the capacitors as per the okapi-pdf.
From the beginning I was planning to go the lowest-cost way possible with the Shigaclone project. Since I have access to some surplus components at work, that is not too difficult. It excludes esoteric caps (like BG), but IMO standard stuff of industrial quality goes 95% of the way anyway.
I'm really not willing to pay big bucks for a marginal improvement. You may or may not agree with this statement, but through the Shigaclone project I found out that my hearing is not really capable of detecting minute changes in sound quality (that may in part be caused by the fact that I continuously ask myself if I'm really hearing changes or just imagining them). What my hearing does seem very sensitive of is changes in musicality and I've found some "improvements" to degrade this aspect of sound reproduction.
Most of the caps I replaced with the well known light blue ones (was Philips, is now BC/Vishay), for the smaller values I used MKT. My first impression from cold was a slight improvement in musicality, now that they're burned in a bit more, this first impression seems to hold. Lately I've been listening to a lot of old school rock music (e.g. AC/DC's Highway to Hell) which IMO is great for hearing PRaT, and the Shigaclone simply excels at it!
Old 21st February 2009, 10:04 AM   #3003
diyAudio Member

good to hear that....
Old 21st February 2009, 12:13 PM   #3004
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jitter
That's why I try to change only one thing at a time.
I know you're right.
Old 21st February 2009, 02:11 PM   #3005
diyAudio Member

Yeah, but sometimes the temptation is just too big to resist. I know I broke that rule by replacing all necessary caps in one go...
Old 21st February 2009, 02:50 PM   #3006
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Quote:
Originally posted by jitter
Speaking of which, a short time ago I replaced the capacitors as per the okapi-pdf.
Most of those caps are not really needed to be replaced. Presently, I replace only 2 caps, as mentioned here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...38#post1671038

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...55#post1669755
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 21st February 2009, 05:18 PM   #3007
dzuvela is offline dzuvela  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Need ideas how to solve "door" switch!

I am finished with box now. Even went back to original JVC trafo how I could make everything compact in single box, except that "door" switch.

Anybody?
Old 21st February 2009, 05:24 PM   #3008
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Use any switch that is normally closed. I'm using those:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg switch.jpg (65.0 KB, 1432 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 21st February 2009, 06:31 PM   #3009
dzuvela is offline dzuvela  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
Use any switch that is normally closed. I'm using those:

Thank you Daniel. It is not a question what type of switch then mechanical solution how my wife could change CDs easy

I have plenty options od differents switch types to choose from, just out of ideas how to implement.
From the beginning my idea was to put dark glass on the top as movable cover wich would push that switch. However this is not finished yet cause can't find proper hinges.

P.S.
Peter, well, this is a good time to say "Thank you" for share this project with world. Besides that two small words which were written here number of times, I believe that the greatest satisfaction for you is the number of successfully finished shigaclones.
I am proud that mine is one of them. Tnx!
Old 21st February 2009, 06:46 PM   #3010
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel

Most of those caps are not really needed to be replaced. Presently, I replace only 2 caps, as mentioned here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...38#post1671038

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...55#post1669755
Yes, I was aware of that, but I liked the fact that okapi used much smaller capacitances than the original ones. Plus I don't have particular good experiences with Chinese caps when it comes to longevity. I might even replace the others with the same values of BC/Vishay too, just for peace of mind...

Hide this!Advertise here!