Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 30 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th April 2008, 06:08 PM   #291
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

For the record - I HATE BL**DY SMT CAPACITORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I haven't done any heat damage to the circuit board I soon will at this rate! Can't get the bug*ers off - tried one iron, two irons, tweazers... aghhhh!

I think I'll just leave the two remaining ones in - hopefully they won't affect the performance that much.

- John
Old 12th April 2008, 06:10 PM   #292
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
AFAIK they are not glued, so removing with two irons should be fairly easy.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 12th April 2008, 06:12 PM   #293
diyAudio Member

Tried that and these two (C917 and C963) just don't want to budge.

Worried about doing heat damage now so will leave them in I think
Old 12th April 2008, 06:19 PM   #294
diyAudio Member

I just lift up one side of them .
Did some of you removed the resistor that connecT L/R VDD to the internal DAC ?
Old 12th April 2008, 06:54 PM   #295
diyAudio Member

Ahhh Stefano your technique worked - thanks

- John
Old 12th April 2008, 10:12 PM   #296
quan is offline quan  Australia
diyAudio Member

Question shigaclone

Yeah, i had to snipped them off -those small capacitors- luckily they are the ones not required.
Any comment regard putting a better clock with its own power supply? I saw a picture in the original Polish forum-using DIY-HIFI supply clock . Wonder how much a improvement ?
Old 12th April 2008, 10:15 PM   #297
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

One of the biggest improvements so far in my experiments with the RCEZ32 was to replace the 2200uF cap in the psu with a pair of better 1000uF electrolytics in parallel. Quite audible.

So far I have replaced the resonator with a 16.9344MHz crystal of the type recommended by Peter. Citizen CSA309 16.3944MHzMABJ-UB..

I replaced a couple of the 10uF caps the LA9242 servo circuitry (not psu bypass) with BG.

I also replaced the 1000uF/16V and 0.1uF cap filtering the supply to the LC78629 with just a single 47uF/16V BG.

The this unit requires 12Vdc to be always on and turns the +8V supply on and off.. I have hard wired the cd mechanism directly to the 8V regulator. I will build a new supply that is compatible with the old one with two separate 8V supplies on separate windings which will be both controlled by the 12V control signal from the audio board. I have removed the power amplifier from the audio board and will eventually remove the remaining chip (digital vc) at some point. I could replicate all of the power circuitry at some point, but this seems unnecessary as eventually the mechanism will have a totally isolated by 8V supply and just the control lines connecting it to the other boards.

It already sounds much better than the stock unit did last night. I think the Sony is better still, but for a $45 investment plus a few more $$ for the parts I've installed so far it is pretty surprising.
Old 12th April 2008, 10:18 PM   #298
diyAudio Member

I just succeded in separating the supply in 2 parts . If you back engeener a little you will see that the 8 volts goes directly to the Motor Driver . The other 2 chips powered by a little stage with a PNP transistor ( the BJT depends itself from the motor driver ) that regulate the voltage to 5V . I think separating that would be a good move . Now is too late for a serius listening , will do that tomorow .

Old 12th April 2008, 10:20 PM   #299
diyAudio Member

Quan, check out page 1, post #13 - Peter comments on the effects of the Tent clock...
Old 12th April 2008, 10:30 PM   #300
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
I also tried separate 5V PS with few different regulator types and single supply sounded better: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...36#post1468036
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC

Hide this!Advertise here!