Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th April 2008, 09:15 AM   #281
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks for updating the PDF Okapi - looks great

- John
Old 12th April 2008, 01:57 PM   #282
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Here is a picture of the RCEZ32 electronics in operation
http://img443.imageshack.us/my.php?i...im00067xz5.jpg
Old 12th April 2008, 03:39 PM   #283
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kevinkr

This unit is box stock and the resistors I used for the spdif level reduction are quite dreadful.. The original values I chose are not the right ones for the amplitude I measured which was 5Vpp...
I must say in my tests yesterday I preferred to not have the parallel resistor after the series to ground . Guess why ? becouse the dac has its own 75ohm resistor in parallel at the input . That is at the other side of the cable . After some good listening I am going to choose a value for just series at the output that will vary from a min of 47 ohm to max 100 ohm . Will let you know .
Old 12th April 2008, 03:42 PM   #284
steenoe is offline steenoe  Denmark
diyAudio Member

In case anyone in Denmark wants one, SuperBrugsen, has them Just become a member and order one from "Nettorvet"
Here is mine, that I just picked up:
JVC There might be a good idea, in that thread too

Old 12th April 2008, 03:55 PM   #285
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kevinkr
Here is a picture of the RCEZ32 electronics in operation
http://img443.imageshack.us/my.php?i...im00067xz5.jpg
There seems to be too much un necessary stuff there .

I have been investigatin on the nature of the Motor drive Ic becouse I wanted to separate the supply of it , from the rest of the board ( I am planning to have a different supply for all the 3 ICs ) .
So my third mod was to have 2 supply . It is not very difficult do mod in that direction . I had a listening session with " steely dan -Aja " like never had before .

The ride cymbals on " black cow " are like planets floating out of the speakers , the sax on " aja " is so sweet and so well placed / non agressive in the scene that actually I was seeing it in front of me . The drum kit in " home at last " is fantastically present the bass drum finally sound like you can feel the tension of the skins . And it seems like sitting at least at the side of the drummer . Wow .
I am curious to know your impressions .
Just to let you know , I am using the DAC form Rockna , with the AD1856NK ( 18 bit ) ( thank you P D ) in non os mode . Eavily modified on the PS . That dac incorporates a reclocking circuit . I am a fan of " in sinc " connections when speaking of clocks (infact previously the dac shared the same clock of the dvd source ) , but in this test I am quite positively impressed and curious on what the freshness and dynamics ( which are very correct ) will give to the long term listen .
Old 12th April 2008, 03:59 PM   #286
diyAudio Member

I've just got the main CD board out now and I'm going to be replacing some capacitors today or tomorrow.

However I just noticed that both motors are subject to a little 'rocking' movement if you wriggle them gently. I'm going to desolder them, and then make sure they're soldered down again firmly against the circuit board this time. Obviously as-is the spinning disc will create undesirable vibrations which isn't good.

I'll probably put some hot melt glue or blu-tac around the motor as well to further damp vibrations.

If I put my finger onto the cd hub, I can rock the motor left to right - there's about 0.8mm 'play' from side to side.

Cheers,

- John
Old 12th April 2008, 04:09 PM   #287
okapi is offline okapi  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnm

However I just noticed that the both motors are subject to a little 'rocking' movement if you wriggle them gently. I'm going to desolder them, and then make sure they're soldered down again firmly against the circuit board this time. Obviously as-is the spinning disc will create undesirable vibrations which isn't good.

- John

Hi John, the motor movement you are referring to occurs when they are screwed to the mechanism? if not, it might be possible that loose coupling between the motor and control board may reduce vibration transfer into the control board.

Kevinkr - thanks for posting the pics
Old 12th April 2008, 04:19 PM   #288
diyAudio Member

Hi.

This is when it is unscrewed from the mechanism. I think you're right - that must afford a little bit of isolation from the circuit board I guess. I shall leave well alone

- John
Old 12th April 2008, 04:19 PM   #289
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Quote:
Originally posted by okapi
Hi John, the motor movement you are referring to occurs when they are screwed to the mechanism? if not, it might be possible that loose coupling between the motor and control board may reduce vibration transfer into the control board.
Yes indeed, I wouldn't worry about it. In fact, attaching them more securely to the boards may influence things in the wrong direction.

I tried to damp the transport frame too and it didn't work well.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 12th April 2008, 04:47 PM   #290
diyAudio Member

Just a warning to those who have yet to de-solder the caps on the circuit board, those tracks can lift VERY easily. Be absolutely sure all solder is sucked up before wriggling those caps out. I lifted a solder pad but VERY luckily for me it was for a cap that was to be removed and not replaced anyway!

Peter I'll leave the transport undamped then - certainly a case of 'good vibrations'

- John

P.S. Regarding the motor 'vibes', would it be an idea to totally unsolder/decouple the motors from the lower curcuit board, so that they are only attached to the laser mechanism only by those four grub screws? This would allow the lower board to be mounted seperately to the laser mechanism...

Hide this!Advertise here!