Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

massimo,

Can you please give me a link to AD151 datasheet and a source for component ?

I´m not sure I understand completely what N.O. buttons are you referring too. Do you have a draw ?

Regards,
Tibi
Regs: I wrote AD151 having in mind the maker, Analog Device, but the correct designation is ADP151, sorry. With these regs you save a cap ;)
ADP151 | Ultra Low Noise, 200 mA CMOS Linear Regulator | Linear Regulators | Power Management | Analog Devices

Normally Open (N.O.) switches are the one used fo Play, Stop, forward skip and back skip. For the "cd door switch" you need a Normally Closed (N.C.) switch and push it (disconnecting IC's pin from GND) to start reading the disc. Thus you cannot use the same buttons.

Regs: I wrote AD151 having in mind the maker, Analog Device, but the correct designation is ADP151, sorry. With these regs you save a cap ;)
ADP151 | Ultra Low Noise, 200 mA CMOS Linear Regulator | Linear Regulators | Power Management | Analog Devices

Normally Open (N.O.) switches are the one used fo Play, Stop, forward skip and back skip. For the "cd door switch" you need a Normally Closed (N.C.) switch and push it (disconnecting IC's pin from GND) to start reading the disc. Thus you cannot use the same buttons.

massimo,

Thanks for the info.
ADP151 input voltage range is too low to be used in this application (2,2V to 5,5V). We need a reg with at least 8V input. Also the regulator need to be able to dissipate at least 150mW in normal operation.
However, his very low noise and low footprint make him suitable to Vref syklab is talking about.
I´ll take in consideration to use him in Vref.

OK I got your point. Will search for a N.C. switch.

Regards,
Tibi

Last edited by a moderator:
ADP151

massimo,

Even LP5900 is a strong candidate, this is not available in TSOT package, therefore very hard to work with from DIY perspective.

ADP151 is available in TSOT package, but not available on mouser, farnell or tme.
Do you have a source for ADP151AUJZ-2.5-R7 5-Lead - TSOT package ?

Regards,
Tibi

massimo,

Thanks for the info.
ADP151 input voltage range is too low to be used in this application (2,2V to 5,5V). We need a reg with at least 8V input. Also the regulator need to be able to dissipate at least 150mW in normal operation.
However, his very low noise and low footprint make him suitable to Vref syklab is talking about.
I´ll take in consideration to use him in Vref.

OK I got your point. Will search for a N.C. switch.

Regards,
Tibi

Or, you could use a 74AHC1G06 (single gate open drain inverter) to invert the polarity of the signal and use the same switch for all positions.

Hmmm. Actually a couple of resistors and a transistor would work just as well.

The only advantage of inverting the signal is to eliminate the NC switch and use all NO switches.

This simplifies the BOM and makes purchasing parts easier at the expense of the additional resistors and transistor.

With regards to the ADP151, one could pre-regulate the 8V supply down to 5V with a 7805 to generate a supply that is supportive. Again, it adds components. However if 8V tolerant low noise regulators are difficult to source it may be worth investigating.

Hmmm. Actually a couple of resistors and a transistor would work just as well.

The only advantage of inverting the signal is to eliminate the NC switch and use all NO switches.

This simplifies the BOM and makes purchasing parts easier at the expense of the additional resistors and transistor.

With regards to the ADP151, one could pre-regulate the 8V supply down to 5V with a 7805 to generate a supply that is supportive. Again, it adds components. However if 8V tolerant low noise regulators are difficult to source it may be worth investigating.

Maybe we'll make room for something like this on PCB, but I'll try to keep balance between options and price on the side of price. Also a very complicate PCB with lot of options will confuse DIY-ers.

Regards,
Tibi

A L7941 is a serious outsider to replace a 7805...
@tibi : could you consider to add 2 capacitors
to replace the ceramic resonator with a regular quartz ?
Good a low cost upgrade to my mind...

Nomdi,

Please a datasheet for L7941 ?
Actually the resonator will no more be used in this project.
This is already reflected in schematic I'll post in few moments.

Thanks & Regards,
Tibi

Schematic with latest changes.

- ADP151 low noise regulator for Vref=2.5V
- separate power supply for each pin on LA6541. I don't have LA6541 detailed internal connections, hope this will bring us separate BTL for focus&track from motors.
- N.C. switch is on the display board
- instead ceramic resonator a citizen cristal is in place
- all other small error drawings have been corrected

From now will start to work on PCB, but remain open to any other observation/suggestions.
Thank you :grouphug: !

Regards,
Tibi

Attachments

• shigaclone_diyaudio_27022012.pdf
    117.5 KB · Views: 326
I think that is designed to interface to an IDE CD rom drive. It uses a microprocessor to talk through the IDE interface to operate the drive.

Third pix from the bottom shows the back side with what looks like an IDE connector.

Last pix looks like a housing with the controller, a ps and the CD rom drive in the bottom.

From my understanding its based on a feedback loop that monitors and regulates the vref signal from the LA9242

In LA9242 datasheeton page 16, you will see that Vref is made with a differential stage who mirror a low current resistive reference to a high current reference (see npn/pnp complementary pair).
I don't see any reason to use Vref LA9242 in a feedback loop with a low noise regulator.
In fact this will inject Vref La9242 noise back to C906.
A more elegant solution could be to inject at pin 57 a low noise low current reference.
Can you please disconnect regulator and C906 from LA9242 Vref pin ?
I expect better results.

Regards,
Tibi

In LA9242 datasheeton page 16, you will see that Vref is made with a differential stage who mirror a low current resistive reference to a high current reference (see npn/pnp complementary pair).
I don't see any reason to use Vref LA9242 in a feedback loop with a low noise regulator.
In fact this will inject Vref La9242 noise back to C906.
A more elegant solution could be to inject at pin 57 a low noise low current reference.
Can you please disconnect regulator and C906 from LA9242 Vref pin ?
I expect better results.

Regards,
Tibi

I really didnt notice any improvement when I implemented the regulator to C906. I will disconnect it tonight and see if I notice any change in sound.