Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Another shigaclone in the works here...

I was able to snatch one of the last RC-EZ51's in the UK it seems, many thanks go to J. Baldham for helping out!
Now it is up and running with the first mods... more are to come. C906 is an MKP from RS and will be replaced at
some point. I was close to a heart attack when I lost a solder tab underneath C906 (too much wiggeling on the wire
that connects to the MKP) but was able to fix it with some magnifying glass surgery ;)
I am planning to power the 5V section with a Paul Hynes 3Terminal replacement reg (with rectification and filtering in
front of course) and will do as per the picture in the thread. There is however another pic in the Okapi pdf that shows
a wire jumper (5A to 5B) on the backside of the board. What's the reason for this jumper?

Attachments

• build-4.jpg
    build-4.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 987
  • DSC_4364.JPG
    DSC_4364.JPG
    155 KB · Views: 988
Hi,
glad to be of help.
Good to see yours up and running.
I have had a few problems with lifting tracks, so much so that I've abandoned mine feeling that it is too delicate.

Looking at the board in the pic mine did exactly the same except when I did another swap the leg fell off the chip DOH!
Gone off on a modding Philips cd40 spree.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
I have done some research into this a few months ago. LA9242M is available in UK: Sony LA9242M IC Sony | BuySpares UK

LC7860xRE seems to be only available from random Hong-Kong/China suppliers. Seeing as the UK price of the LA9242M is ridiculously high, it is probably best ordered from China as well.

I would be prepared to invest a modest sum of money into this (maybe £100-200). Shigaclone is my pet project, and I utterly hated having to turn down people who wanted to buy JVCs from me recently. Besides, I distributed all the CD mechs I had among fellow forumers, and left only one for myself, so (obviously) I would like to have a spare for experimenting...

Hi Uncle_leon,
I found some LC78601RE-8615 from few China supplier for 32RMB each and that's about 5USD$ without shipping.
LA9242M-MPB-E for 4US$
LA6541 HSOP for 2 US$

Let me know if someone will kick start the project and I will try to get a few of these chips from China. If lucky, it won't long.

Sanyo MCD-ZX250F schematic.
http://vicol-audio.ro/docs/sanyo_mcd-zx250f_sm.pdf

If there is enough interest I may redesign the board with all Shigaclone modifications already included.
I wonder is this Sanyo transport is still available as a separate unit and if LA9242M and LC78601RE can be purchased in small quantities.

Regards,
Tibi

There's plenty of laser/motor transports on ebay and skylab found a source for the chips. We just need someone to layout the pcb ( hint hint ) :)

Hi Uncle_leon,
I found some LC78601RE-8615 from few China supplier for 32RMB each and that's about 5USD$ without shipping.
LA9242M-MPB-E for 4US$
LA6541 HSOP for 2 US$

Let me know if someone will kick start the project and I will try to get a few of these chips from China. If lucky, it won't long.

That's good !

Ok, let's start the project and in the mean time will see how many people will get in.

Regards,
Tibi

I'm going to design servo&DSP board, display board and power supply board.
For remote an universal one should be OK.
I have an original RC-EZ31 transport and I'll respect board dimensions and connectors placement.
The boards will be double sided 70um Cu and I hope will get a better grounding scheme than original.

My question to people who have tested different boards, which is the best board for this design ?
With LC78601, LC78602 or LC78622 ?

Regards,
Tibi