Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

This is my version.. Separate PS, + 8 and + 5... All the capacitors bypassed with a 1MicroF MKP..

Nothing strange.. It works great!!!
Thanks to Daniel!!!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

To everyone who was planning on buying the JVC boombox from me, I have sad news - it seems it is finally being phased out in UK. It is no longer available on amazon, and I can only find one shop that still has some stock left (and snatched the opportunity to order a couple for my own future use).

I am looking at the JVC RD-EZ11 model as a promising possible replacement, has anyone tried it?

To everyone who was planning on buying the JVC boombox from me, I have sad news - it seems it is finally being phased out in UK. It is no longer available on amazon, and I can only find one shop that still has some stock left (and snatched the opportunity to order a couple for my own future use).

I am looking at the JVC RD-EZ11 model as a promising possible replacement, has anyone tried it?

Hello Jarek, I have 2 ez11s they are completely different. Different chipset with no digital out.

Dear _leon merry Xmas.

The 5v regulator layout for the shigaclone, is it possible you have it.
What voltage trafo do I need? 12-0-12? 16-0-16?
I can see peter did the one for his Nos Dac, and same was used on shigaclone.
I'm in need of partlist and layout. I want to ad the 5v to the shiga. Also need some clue how to add it:) (somewhere I noticed it explained)
happy newyear.

Sorry, I missed your post - please see attached pictures regarding 5V connection. (search thread function is your friend)

You simply need a trafo that will provide enough spare room for the regulator drop-out... 12VAC (0-12 or 12-0-12) is a reasonable choice for most 8V regulators, you could probably use slightly lower voltage for the 5V reg.

The regulator Peter uses (the "Bobken regulator") is a rather tricky and highly-strung design - it's easy to mess up and parts are expensive or hard to get. If you are looking for something that can be put together easily, this is not for you, I'm afraid... :( You could try building other, more user-friendly super-regulators, or buying a ready-made one, such as Belleson super-reg.

Attachments

• track5v.jpg
    track5v.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 798
  • switchable.jpg
    switchable.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 792
Just tried building another shig.after successfully building one. brand new ec51 transport from the boombox, same minor mods, connected up to my black box 50 dac and there is a horrible noise (coming from the spkrs) like someone dropping thousands of ballbearings on a metal sheet!! the music output is still there underneath the noise.
I have scoped it and its about 1khz random(ish) sawtooth.....any ideas anybody?

The player in the link to the Chinese forum is a Sanyo MCD-ZX250F - but most likely it is unobtainium at this point too....

Sanyo MCD-ZX250F still available?
I may have located these (misnamed?) still available in the UK @£39, no picture to confirm it, but we can live in hope?
Couldn't find any info on the item as listed (Sanyo MCDZ 250) so check it out.
As I'm not in the UK I will leave it up to you guys; then clear them out if its right.

Sanyo MCDZ 250 Portable Stereo (Electronics) £38.99 - FOXY.co.uk

Hoping someone manages to come up with a more readily available alternative.