Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

With the EZ51 the display board is shorter than that for the EZ31 so never needed to be shortened for easier mounting. The pot as far as I can remember, (like you I may have read somewhere but there was a lot of reading:) was just so that the LED brightness could be reduced if wanted. led's generally operate off 5V so as long as the LED gets it's 5V, +ve to +ve all will be well. The original mod file in pdf format showed a connection to the power supply... which probably simply used a small resistor to drop 8V to 5V.
Trevor L
Ah woops ya beat me to it:)

cheers trevor,
feel a bit more confident about it now, don't like unexpected wires about the place.
Funny thing happened when I opened up the EZ51, I was looking at a metal chassis inside and for 5 minutes I thought I'd bought the wrong one, the chassis was so different.
Turns out I was studying the cassette chassis, don't you just feel like a fool:eek:

Made the transport and have more or less been tweaking/voicing it for over year. Here are my findings (so far, things may change ;) ). Hope it helps someone. :)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/audio-sector/160373-cd-transport-19.html#post2764183

Kiitos kaveri!

Yes, thanks. I have just started my shigaclone journey and welcome your input.
To begin with I'm still try to figure out what DAC to use so meanwhile I will use the analog output from the thing... Of course I will move to digital out later on.

Hi, listened to the as yet naked Shig again last night and I swear it's getting better especially female vocal.
Anyway as other makes have said the motor is quite noisy and it has a definite metal to metal ring to it.
Does anyone think that it may quieten down if a rubber spacer was inserted under the two mounting screws to isolate the outer casing from the metal chassis.

Hello all.
im hoping someone can help- i was given a part finished shigaclone by one of my customers early this year and im just now looking at it and trying to get my head around it.
it has a 24v transformer and a PS which appears to be deisgned following the schematic on this thread- http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/audio-sector/160373-cd-transport.html with the exception of the regulator being LM317. they are housed in a wooden cigar box, and i did find out through some googling that this may mean the original maker possibly wasnt competent!

the PS does work and gives up to 24v output by adjusting the trimmer, however with the votage set correctly and connected to the transport the display just flashes "00" once and nothing else happens.
checking the voltage shows that it drops down around 2-3v with the load, even setting the PS output to 18v only gives 4v under load. the transformer outputs read 24v ac regardless.

the transport its self has also been modified as shown in the above thread, but in addition to the 5 components being removed also has c942 removed, as well as 2 cmt components which are next to it.

if anyone has any ideas id appreciate it.
Many thanks,
Russ.

Dear Peter.
When indtaling v-cap or an audio note, Jensen, duelund. Do I still mount in the + and ground? It looks like you only have one leg in ground, what about the + . Could you show a photo from the other side. Best Kris

If you are referring to this picture: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...ansport-shigaclone-story-219.html#post2494131 I connected one lead to ground, the other lead underneath the board to closest trace, which was more convenient than placing both cap ends into original (electrolytic) footprint.

Hello all.
im hoping someone can help- i was given a part finished shigaclone by one of my customers early this year and im just now looking at it and trying to get my head around it.
it has a 24v transformer and a PS which appears to be deisgned following the schematic on this thread- http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/audio-sector/160373-cd-transport.html with the exception of the regulator being LM317. they are housed in a wooden cigar box, and i did find out through some googling that this may mean the original maker possibly wasnt competent!

the PS does work and gives up to 24v output by adjusting the trimmer, however with the votage set correctly and connected to the transport the display just flashes "00" once and nothing else happens.
checking the voltage shows that it drops down around 2-3v with the load, even setting the PS output to 18v only gives 4v under load. the transformer outputs read 24v ac regardless.

the transport its self has also been modified as shown in the above thread, but in addition to the 5 components being removed also has c942 removed, as well as 2 cmt components which are next to it.

if anyone has any ideas id appreciate it.
Many thanks,
Russ.

PS- here is a photo showing te smt components that have been removed.
heres a stupid question- it will fire up without being connected to a dac right? i dont have dac yet so can connect one but sure it makes no difference?

Thanks again.
Russ.

Attachments

• shiga1.jpg
    shiga1.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 617
Hi Russ, I'm still on a learning curve with my naked shig but I have sorted it a little.
Please make sure it's only getting 8v dc otherwise something may fry.
It will power up and spin the disc and go through the motions of playing.
The red and black wire have to be joined together on power up to read the toc.
Pressing play will then play the tracks either using the remote or the buttons.

So put on a disc, join red and black together and power it. Display should read number of tracks, press play.

I got everything working again on my shigaclone, currently I am testing out the KG 8v power supply as advised by jugi63. other mods are: 5v bobken regulator, hagclock and I got the vref reg to work.

Attachments

• PB120519.JPG
    PB120519.JPG
    772.3 KB · Views: 606
  • PB120520.JPG
    PB120520.JPG
    733.6 KB · Views: 581
  • PB120521.JPG
    PB120521.JPG
    809.5 KB · Views: 535
That's looks great! I still have had a chance to try the vref yet, not quite understand to it works and how to connect it.

Thanks, just follow the schematic in post #5022

Looks really cool... Is it intentional that one of the screws is different?

Thanks for helping me revive my shigaclone. I will eventually change the other 3 screws :)

Hi
after reading the experiments concerning the magnetic puck, I sent for some 9mm magnettic stuff off ebay, fridge magnet backing.
I removed the heavy magnet and substituted a circle of the new stuff.
The disc seems to start more readily and smoothly but when it stops it takes a time and the puck stops before the disc.
I'm not sure if there is any attraction with the new magnet but I think there may be a minimal amount as without a magnet at all things are looser.
When my shig is complete I'll experiment further as there may be some mileage in this idea.

for those like myself only doing the minimum of changes to the mainboard, I have just found that he biggest improvement is a good quality film cap in place of c960.
Early this morning at 2am I put a 0.22 630v Obligato cap in place of c960 electrolytic.
I could only test it at low volume at 2am but it sounded promising.
Tonight though I listened properly.
Not going to go into a great deal of detail but a vast improvement. So much so that that is it.
No more soldering to the board, all improvements from here on will be mechanical, fitting everything into a massy chassis.

Other changes are removing the two elecrolytic caps 916,912 and their ceramic bypasses and substituting 916. with a 470 50v Nichion Muse.

Oh I haven't got round to the digi out resistors yet so perhaps there may be another improvement to come.:)

Hehe... I believe we should follow the shoe ;-)

sorry?:confused::confused::confused:

NEXT to Jesus on that first Christmas night, and spent the rest of his life trying to shed the residual aura that apparently fell upon him--running away from people who think he's the Messiah. One of his "followers" picks up a gourd that's been dropped during the fracas and holds it up to the rest, pronouncing it a sign. "Follow the gourd!" Then a would-be member of these sects in the city notices a sandal that Brian had lost during his escape, picks it up, and says, "No, follow the shoe!"

I see it's a quote from Pythons Life of Brian, very droll:confused:

Last edited: