Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 253 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2008, 04:26 PM   #2521
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator
 
kevinkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Blog Entries: 6
Quote:
Originally posted by aparatusonitus


Hi valo,

I used to have the same problem...found a few wary tiny cracks in display PSB board as well as main board. Use a magnifying glass and light bending to see offending PCB traces, solder them and you'll be back in business.
This is very good advice, these boards are ROHS compliant and the solder connections do not handle flexing at all well. Look for connectors and components that have intermittent or open connections as well as possible cracks in the pcb. I have had problems with several of the connectors.

If you never over-voltaged the board the fact that you did not isolate the regulator tab from the heat sink should not have a bearing on the current problem you are seeing. Much more likely that some handling issue has occured. I assume you do take some rudimentary precautions against static electricity. (AKA ESD)
__________________
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2008, 04:35 PM   #2522
diyAudio Member
 
Erik van Voorst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Rotterdam
Valo

You really got me curious now.....are you saying that in your Post 2506 we can see an OPEN (modified) Forsell and a CLOSED Forsell....I find that hard to believe....

I do am very interested in the cap 1 Farad story...maybe you have the links where these pics come from...or maybe you can tell more about it since I do not see this as off-topic...
__________________
To baldly go where no man has gone before................(James Kirk)
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2008, 05:04 PM   #2523
valo is offline valo  Norway
diyAudio Member
 
valo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: bodø
Quote:
Originally posted by kevinkr


This is very good advice, these boards are ROHS compliant and the solder connections do not handle flexing at all well. Look for connectors and components that have intermittent or open connections as well as possible cracks in the pcb. I have had problems with several of the connectors.

If you never over-voltaged the board the fact that you did not isolate the regulator tab from the heat sink should not have a bearing on the current problem you are seeing. Much more likely that some handling issue has occured. I assume you do take some rudimentary precautions against static electricity. (AKA ESD)

Hi again

I have been looking for cracks but no luck and the connectors looks fine too, its sad it did sound werry well and i was just about to finish the project ... but i guess my regulator or static electricity did murder it ..

Click the image to open in full size.


I did make my frame just like this one that Peter Daniel did , my regulator looks the same too but i dident use any isolation , so gnd on the reg has the same potensial as the mechanism

Anyway i did order two JVC RC-EZ51 today i got them verry verry cheap .. so i hope i learn from my mistake

Thanke for manny good tips
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2008, 05:16 PM   #2524
diyAudio Member
 
audio1st's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Foxton, CAMBS..
Hello valo.
If it spins up and reads "00", it is nearly always something to do with the white ribbon cable you can see in Peters picture, joins laser to the board..
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2008, 05:24 PM   #2525
valo is offline valo  Norway
diyAudio Member
 
valo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: bodø
Quote:
Originally posted by Erik van Voorst
Valo

You really got me curious now.....are you saying that in your Post 2506 we can see an OPEN (modified) Forsell and a CLOSED Forsell....I find that hard to believe....

Its the same cdplayer, more pictures here in the norwegian forum hifisentralen

I do am very interested in the cap 1 Farad story...maybe you have the links where these pics come from...or maybe you can tell more about it since I do not see this as off-topic...

I dont know so mutch about this player all i know is that it was modifyed buy an Norvegian guy called Birger Lund maby he is in this forum ..
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2008, 06:45 PM   #2526
diyAudio Member
 
aparatusonitus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Split, Croatia
Quote:
Originally posted by valo
I have been looking for cracks but no luck and the connectors looks fine too, its sad it did sound werry well and i was just about to finish the project ... but i guess my regulator or static electricity did murder it...
Hi valo,

Before you dump it tell me one thing: when you hit the door switch in order to read the TOC, what is the output voltage of your regulator and for how long? If it is much lower then ~7VDC for few sec, it can't read TOC for sure, I've tried it.
__________________
Non mai abbastanza...
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2008, 07:36 PM   #2527
valo is offline valo  Norway
diyAudio Member
 
valo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: bodø
Quote:
Originally posted by aparatusonitus


Hi valo,

Before you dump it tell me one thing: when you hit the door switch in order to read the TOC, what is the output voltage of your regulator and for how long? If it is much lower then ~7VDC for few sec, it can't read TOC for sure, I've tried it.

Its drops from 8.01Vdc to 7.99 when i hit the door switch
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2008, 07:58 PM   #2528
Badge is offline Badge  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oregon
My unit is up and running. All that I need do is cut and install the top plate. The chassis is a two compartment box cast out of aluminum. It weighs 13 pounds. The rear compartment houses the power supply and the front has the transport. The display is separate from the chassis and mounted to the wood face. Wood sides and face are lace wood. Thanks to Peter and all here who helped.http://gallery.AudioAsylum.com/cgi/gi.mpl?u=4933&f=CDtransport.jpg
__________________
The freaks stick together, they are a tight old crew
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2008, 11:39 PM   #2529
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator
 
kevinkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Blog Entries: 6
Can't load the picture link, it comes back as invalid even when I am logged into AA..

Edit: I did find it though - nice job, and a lot of really unusual pix in your gallery that I enjoyed checking out..
__________________
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2008, 11:47 PM   #2530
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ireland
aaah, I tried to get in there too - go on, now I'm really interested.... please give us another link!


Fran
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:43 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2