Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

could you measure

Thanks for the help guys.....

Problem solved.

After putting the thing together again, building a solid chassis for it and putting the original short flat cable in, i still had the skipping problem.

So i made a platter adjustment tool ( same as Peter's ).

Raising the platter about 0,5mm did the job.

The help of the lock indicator was also very useful ( blue led from Buffalo DAC in background ).

So now i can continue tests with longer cable and electronics board away from motors......:cool:

Hi CeeVee,
could you measure the height so others can check it also!
Maybe the distance between the lower platter and the motor case top.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
software is sprint PCB Layout...cheap and perfect for audio :)

Sprint-Layout

Very easy to use.
Anyway you have the gerbers in zip file.

the height between JVC pcb and transport chassis is 19mm...i would say plenty of space for this little board with output cap vertical and 3W resistor with breathing room.

Last edited:
The shadow of the mini-PiTbull is up and running clear ...litterally...:D

I ditched the magnet and the platform and had still a 100 percent (dearly paid in the past) puck/platform combo....a winner.

Slight disadvantage is that it now takes a bit more trouble exchanging lasers....(in previous situation a matter of seconds) but you can live with that...:)

Due to the bettered lay-out I am in need of a longer display lint...anyone a link and ser. number....pretty please with sugar on top....:birthday:

runningclear.jpg

Last edited:
cable tv coaxial with F connector?

So should I buy a (semi) audiophile cable cut off the end and install a F connector?
I just measured several cables with F connectors, and I got .2 ohms.
What shiga to DAC cables are you using? generic, expensive, stuff that does measure 75 ohms with a multimeter?
please see picture to see if I've got it right!?

Thanks,
Paul

Attachments

• shiga.bmp
    55.5 KB · Views: 146
maybe here

The shadow of the mini-PiTbull is up and running clear ...litterally...:D

TRY newark.com ,

I ditched the magnet and the platform and had still a 100 percent (dearly paid in the past) puck/platform combo....a winner.

Slight disadvantage is that it now takes a bit more trouble exchanging lasers....(in previous situation a matter of seconds) but you can live with that...:)

Due to the bettered lay-out I am in need of a longer display lint...anyone a link and ser. number....pretty please with sugar on top....:birthday:

runningclear.jpg

If all works well I should have a ez31 in a couple of weeks. One of the guys over at head-fi is helping get it to me. My wife thinks I'm nuts for buying a perfectly good boom box and tearing it apart just to make a cd player. This will actually turn into two projects for me. I'm planning to add an ipod dock to what's left of the box and use it on my toolbox at work. Win Win for me.:D

After a few hours I could make a strongly improved lay out.(with advice of my audio-buddy Anton)...although the display-cable still remains too short...:D

readysteady.jpg
Erik
My source of long ribbons are old VHS recorders and similar stuff.They are filled with them especially the older ones.I usually get them in the local electronic repair shop.Maybe you have something in your house somewhere left forgotten.
If the ribbon have more pins just cut the excessive pins with pliers to needed number.

Since I cannot stand a problem I immediately took efford to start building the encasement...

You can truly cite the designers phrase.."form follows function".....anyway a nice excuse to have a few hours on your own with easter....:D

Ofcourse calling it Mini-PiTbull it must have its recognisable materials...so the display I make from cocobolo..the so called "bulletproof" wood, very hard to work with but o so rewarding.

The Display-Ribbon is now exactly the right size....I wonder why..hahahaha....!!!!!

Display.jpg

Something more recent than the JVC RC-EZ31....?

All,

I think I've been bitten by the Shigaclone bug.....

However, I'm dutifully reading through all the Shigaclone thread (on page 30 of 400+) for research. I realise the availability of the EZ31 died in about 2008, and I have yet to find (in the thread) what might be a suitable alternative. I figure as a dig through the next 370+ (gulp) pages, I might find if you are now using other transport mechanisms.

Can any of you offer a quick tip--are you all still primarily using the EZ31, or have you found something more available that has replaced the EZ31 (or must I read the next 370 pages to find that answer)? Thanks--great reading, and I have the urge to warm up my soldering iron now...! :D

I asked a similar question the other day. About two pages back you can find a link to the amazon.ca site that lists two of them. They do not ship electronics to the US though. I had someone in Canada buy it for me and he will ship it to me when he receives it.

As far as I've read the options were ez31, ez51, ez53?, and ez32(requires extensive mods). Maybe someone more in the know will correct me if I'm wrong. Good Luck!

I asked a similar question the other day. About two pages back you can find a link to the amazon.ca site that lists two of them. They do not ship electronics to the US though. I had someone in Canada buy it for me and he will ship it to me when he receives it.

SIgh.... thanks, c12mech. I just double-checked amazon.ca, and they have one left. Unfortunately, I know one family in Canada, and they are on vacation in Hawaii (without a cell phone!).

Sigh, again......

I would keep checking regularly. They seem to come and go. I had seen them in the past and never was able to get one but this time around I got lucky. If I had not found one I was just going to start looking around for some different players with digital out and start playing around with it, still may do that in the future.