Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

johnm said:
Peter, is it OK to use a 16V 48VA 3-amp torroidal transformer (found one in my parts box) with the PSU? I've taken a look at the specs for the LM7808CT and the max input it takes is 34V, so I think I'm ok?

It's not only the voltage, but also the current draw. The regulator runs pretty hot with 12V transformer, with 16V you will need a big heatsink.

Transformer by itself runs pretty warm too, no matter what size.

I tried the capacitor tweak across mains years ago and while it did something to the sound I wasn't much impressed and don't use it.

In fact, I don't use any conditioning and no filtering on my AC lines, just pure AC power from the wall, nothing else really works well.

Serious heatsinking? I guess I'd better leave it then which is a shame. Don't think the heatsink I'm using is upto it?

cheers,

- John

Attachments

• psu.jpg
    psu.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 2,179
Re: Affordable Transport

Badge said:
damn. I called Visions and they won't ship outside Canada. I tried to tell them this unit is no longer available in the states, but they won't budge.:bawling:

sondguy said:
Luvdunhill,

How did you get an EZ31 from Visions in Canada shipped to USA? I called & was also they do not ship to US. HELP!!!!
Regards Ronnie

yup, you need Canadian friends :)

Hold tight until Friday and we'll see what happens...

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Re: Re: Affordable Transport

luvdunhill said:

yup, you need Canadian friends :)

Hold tight until Friday and we'll see what happens...

I know that Peter's bogarting some. If anyone can get me one of these in the states. Mucho appreciated. Namaste.:angel:

Peter, are you going to build and sell some?, or just give them to friends you want to torment in re-engineering basic stuff to sound good...

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Re: EZ31 from Canada

claiborne said:
luvdunhill,

I would love to be included in any group buy or whatever you put together.

OR if anyone in Canada would be willing to buy one and ship it(or the guts to me. I would gladly pay a fee for your time. Thanks.

claiborne

If it's just a matter or ordering one and re-shipping it,
that should be easy enough.

Badge said:
I tried the Best Buy site and they will only ship to Canadian addresses as well.

I wonder if they simply don't want to ship outside the
country or if there might be distribution agreements
with certain manufacturers. :confused:

Dennis

Johnm. You say

"You will need to attach two wires to the PSU to get the LED working though, but this is in Okapi's PDF. Have you got the latest version of the PDF by the way? That one shows the LED attachment."

My investigations led me to believe that the voltage for the backlight was only 5v. Am I wrong and wil 8v do it ? There are 4 wires to the display, are only two required and if so what do the other two do ?