Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

mur860 T0220 stupid question

looking at the datasheet of the mur860 TO-220 ac I am confused. I've never worked with this style of diode before.
It looks like either leg is "in" and the case with the mounting hole is "out"
I'd a thunk that one leg would be "in" and the other leg would be "out".
Could someone please enlighten me on this very basic question (sorry).
Thanks,
Paul

looking at the diode from the front (ie heatsink side away from you), the left leg is cathode and right leg is anode. The back of the diode (ie heatsink contact) is connected to the cathode. So you may need to insulate if you were using a heatsink.

However, you won;t need a heatsink on those diodes in this application....

I think that a goo dnumber of to220 style diodes follow this same pinout.

looking at the datasheet of the mur860 TO-220 ac I am confused. I've never worked with this style of diode before.
It looks like either leg is "in" and the case with the mounting hole is "out"
I'd a thunk that one leg would be "in" and the other leg would be "out".
Could someone please enlighten me on this very basic question (sorry).
Thanks,
Paul

Paul,

please take a look here, cathode is at one of the leg, which is also connected to the TO220 Tab:

to220.jpg

Now I must open my CD Transport earlier, because the laser does not read any CDs anymore :confused:

Regards,
Rudy

Hi Rudy,

Did this happen suddenly or as a result of a modification/change/repair etc., I guess you probably did check the laser switch as well ???

Try to remember the last time you touched it and what you did...even when I am still busy with a second one at the moment I still do one (small) thing at the time to try to stay in control of it...

Hi Erik,

I have nothing changed to this CD transport, I have the last few days regularly problems sometimes it seems that the CD Transport goes in the mute on the CD tracks, the last tracks of the cd he can't read and the CD quickly rotate.
I have the transport now open and I will take another CD unit, where the laser switch already in is confirmed.

Regards,
Rudy

Last edited:
If you have multiple powersupplies the start up (I experienced) for the very first time takes a few toc readings.....it is probably better to leave it on if that is the case.....in order to avoid damage (especially if you have multiple chipfeedings)...

Today I mounted the the Mini-Pitbull (it's shadow that is:D) on a proper block of wood and gave it a decent inlet and linefilter....

This will be the platform (excl copper) on which I will build further....

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

If you have multiple powersupplies the start up (I experienced) for the very first time takes a few toc readings.....it is probably better to leave it on if that is the case.....in order to avoid damage (especially if you have multiple chipfeedings)...

Hi Erik,

I have never problems with a few toc readings, it reads OR it read not.
Maybe the laser is damaged, to try differend digital cabel, I will certainly test the other one.
Now I have also a protection for my CD Transport because there is a Labrador in the house :D

Regards,
Rudy

Attachments

• CD.protection.jpg
    CD.protection.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 492
  • Delrin.puck.jpg
    Delrin.puck.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:
Hi Erik,

I have never problems with a few toc readings, it reads OR it read not.
Maybe the laser is damaged, to try differend digital cabel, I will certainly test the other one.
Now I have also a protection for my CD Transport because there is a Labrador in the house :D

Regards,
Rudy

Nope you mis-understand me, it was more an advice towards you..meaning that with multiple powersupplies you have to take care...

I gave an example that with e.g 8V and 5V separated you have to take care when you start up ..the very first time.!!!......I agree that it reads toc or not .....but AFTER toc reading it seems not to speed up the first time......after a few times it works like a charm...especially if you leave the power on...

I saw a simular posting in the past.....that's all :D

Last edited: