Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

hi PD,
Thanks for the links......I have the motor and all working, but when it runs up and scans -- then 00 in display then turns off,,,any Ideas on that one I don't have a scope here but will have it next month to check the signal run out,The most problem with the replacement LA6541d was the pins are wrong,the chip in the shing has a total of 24 pins as where the replacement has 30pins, a little swapping around has it running except the scan isn't reading the tracks,everything is working but that, going to go sleep took awhile to get that much done,Thanks for all that helped especially PD ! BTW the manual for rcez31,35 is the one that has the pins numbered and the best clarity, Take Care!

Reclocking SPDIF

Hi guys,

Quick few questions on SPDIF reclocking :

1. Is the original cd player clock used as the clock input to a 74HC04?
2. If (1), why use the 74HC04 and not 74HCU04?
3. From the 74HC04, do you use the clock or inverted clock output as an input to the 74HC74?

Thanks
Ryan

The one that's been reported on here by a few of the guys? Are there several options in this regard or has everyone settled on a similar scheme?

I think I'll just settle for the following:
original or Tent clock inject into 74HC04, take the inverted clock into 74VHC74; inject SPDIF into 74VHC74 and take the output as the new SPDIF. All logic will be well decoupled of course.

Hallo,

I forgot to tell you all that the Shigaclone in combination with DDDAC don't work good.
When you listen to high tones, you hear a ticking scraping distortion noise.
For example Gregorio Paniagua - La Folia de la Spagna
Song number 8 here you hear a flute: Nordica Et Desolata/Aurea Mediocritas

Then I buy the Trichord Clock 4 the ticking scraping distortion noise was totally gone :violin:

I hope this help you all they have a DDDAC and maybe with some other DAC’s.

Regards,
Rudy

Attachments

• 1214658.jpg
    1214658.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 601
Last edited:
I got this answer from John Brown (ecdesigns) I hope I did a good translation ;)

The problem is known, the source and is caused by masterclock in the DDDAC1543 MK2 are not synchronized. This is a requirement for periodic ticks in the sound.

Possible solutions are:
DDDAC1543 MK2 clock back to CD course work (slaved transport). If the work in the loop masterclock 16.9,344 MHz the 11.2896 MHz clock first be shared by 2, then 3 multiplied by (PLL multiplier chip). This is described on the thread.
PLL + 11.2896 MHz VCXO (Tent Labs).

You can also wait until my multi-rate masterclock tracker module is ready, this can be connected on the DDDAC DAC and supported 44.1, 48, 88.2 and 96 KHz sample rates (automatic conversion and tracking).

Kind regards,
John Brown
ecdesigns

Last edited:
hi Rudy,

I have experienced exactly the same but with the Trichord installed.;)...I could solve it by relocating the clock and removing a rubber pad underneath it(graphite?).....gone :cool:

Today I finished another Mini-PiTbull set-up with its own 8V supply.

I had to build one transport extra as a kind of "Shadowbuild" in order to go further with mods on the original Mini-PiTbull ...
This enables me to perform the mods first on the "spare one" and when satisfied I implement them on the original...if that mod should fail I can instantly grab the spare board (which is identical but everytime with the latest mod)

It is playing right now and it is pretty close to amazing how it all opens up for the first time after a couple of hours...a bit like giving birth to an ugly ducklin.....(pics soon)

BTW...this one does not tick...funny that cheap stuff..hahahaha :D

Last edited:
Hello everybody,
i think i need your help....after a long periode of computer Audio i wanted
to go back to my shigaclone, which played quitemwell for a long time.
I just wanted to refurbish it a bit and snipped out
SW701/ SW 706/ CN702/ R703/ R708 and Q702
Then i wanted to listen to some music....player started, togged, recognized
disk and disk spinned.....skipping etc works, but no music comes out.
what did i do wrong? How could i find out?

Greetings from frustration

Ulf