Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 22 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th April 2008, 12:32 AM   #211
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
The mods presented in pdf file are changes that suited my needs and my equipment, don't do them all at once.

Start with clean PS: remove all ceramic caps, choke and 470uF cap (on board) mentioned in pdf file, then build external PS: good transformer with 24V CT or similar, 2 x MSR860 diodes, LM7808 regulator and 2 x 1000uF caps. BG STD is good choice after requaltor, before regulator you may try the same cap, BG FK or whatever else you find available and suitable.

Then start replacing caps on board: you may find my choices working fine, or you may find that something else works better FOR YOU. But don't do it all at once, as you will loose track of what works and what not.

The untouched board, with just PS mods, works quite well and some of you may find that additional adjustement are not needed at all.

What I found though, is that mechanical build was quite important and it's definitely worth to do some work here.

I started with acrylic platform, later switched to spruce board and only then found heavy frame on springs even better. It's also recommended to mount the mechanism on two standoffs only; it really sounds better that way... and I wouldn't try if I didn't see it in Shigaraki
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 9th April 2008, 12:41 AM   #212
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stefanobilliani
[B]Where? I cant see it .
what about pins 33-36 on the LC78620
Old 9th April 2008, 12:55 AM   #213
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by luvdunhill

what about pins 33-36 on the LC78620
OK , that it looks more like Shigaraki board .
Old 9th April 2008, 01:11 AM   #214
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel

I started with acrylic platform, later switched to spruce board and only then found heavy frame on springs even better. It's also recommended to mount the mechanism on two standoffs only; it really sounds better that way... and I wouldn't try if I didn't see it in Shigaraki
That is really interesting , and it reminds me of the Rega Planar 9 turntable ( doing exception for the springs ) I will try that for sure , anyway in your Post#9 pictures it seems you are mounting the mechanism on all the 4 stands ....
Old 9th April 2008, 01:29 AM   #215
diyAudio Member

That was a different approach where I intended to create as much contact area between mechanism plate and copper/brass chassis as posible, speculating that extensive damping may improve things. Unfortunately, it didn't work at all; the sound was dead and uninvolving. I later tried 4 spacers as pictured below, but even then ended up with only 2, and it was the best I could get from that assembly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spacer.jpg (11.9 KB, 3349 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 9th April 2008, 03:07 AM   #216
diyAudio Member

Just brought one from Bestbuy in Northland, Calgary.

A3K
Old 9th April 2008, 02:07 PM   #217
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Peter, do you think it would be OK to use a 47uF instead of 33uF capacitor in the 'E2' position as shown on the DIY mods PDF? I have a few Elna Cerafines in this value and I'd rather use those than pay £10 just for one Black Gate 33uF/postage.

Cheers,

- John
Old 9th April 2008, 02:09 PM   #218
diyAudio Member

Of course it's not a problem to use different values. I used those, because of limited choice of BG N caps.
Old 9th April 2008, 02:33 PM   #219
diyAudio Member

Great - thanks Peter
Old 9th April 2008, 04:50 PM   #220
diyAudio Member

Okapi, just wanted to say thanks for the DIY PDF you posted here for download - have read it about 20 times now prior to receiving my JVC (hopefully tomorrow!!!).

Just one thing which could be updated - how about adding how to connect the LED for the LCD? I believe the power is taken from just after the rectifiers?

Cheers.

- John

Hide this!Advertise here!