Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

If not using a pulse transformer for the digital output from the CEC 'clone' re-clocking board, what combination of output resistors would be the 'by the book' choice?

Audio1st you mentioned 150/150 combo - was that a 'suck it and see' approach or worked out from looking at the chip specs?

- John

I guess it's not too critical then as you're using 300/100 and Audio1st is using 150/150 and both are fine.

The chips just arrived for the reclocker. One is TI SN74AS74N, but the other is a Malay CD74ACT14E - does it matter that this one isn't a TI chip like the one on the CEC board? Or are these manufactured by lots of different companies to the same specs?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I drew up some plans to have a chassis made for the shigaclone. Its a solid 2" thick milled aluminum chassis. It should be quite heavy and "high-end looking". It is similar to the one made by BMW850 but it will be much smaller (12.5"x12.5"). I am thinking about starting a group buy if I can find others interested. I cant afford to have one custom made (I got some quotes of $260-$300 for material and labor) Hopefully, a group buy can bring down the price. This is for the top section only. There will be a recess and cut out where the JVC mech will fit right in. The lower section will not be custom milled. It can easily be made from aluminum plate so I will leave that up to you guys to make. Please look at my plans and let me know if anyone will be interested. Remember this is only for the top section and I am hoping to find a place that will do it for $150-$200.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Today I placed Shiga on two carbon fishing tips.One side of tips sits on two rollers made of buttons and toothpicks and the other side on the air cushion for Poul Ladegaard's Air Bearing arm that I bild for that purpose but I couldn't resist to temptation to try it on transport.The best mod I ever made!!!Total reality and easy presentation.Everything is so natural with great timbre.Seems that air suspension have decreased stress on reading mechanism because the details that came out are incredible.

RC-EX10 is an old model from JVC. It looks similar to RC-EZ31 and has the equivalent functions (reads CD/CD-R/CD-RW but is unable to playback MP3).

Does anyone know the chipset used in this model? Hope it could be used for Shigaclone.

JVC RC EX10 - Review - JVC: Just Very Crap?

Finally, I bought a service manual of RC-EX10A to see which the chips are inside. Unfortunately, the chipset used in the RC-EX10A is entirely different to RC-EZ31 and is unable to output SPDIF.

Today I placed Shiga on two carbon fishing tips.One side of tips sits on two rollers made of buttons and toothpicks and the other side on the air cushion for Poul Ladegaard's Air Bearing arm that I bild for that purpose but I couldn't resist to temptation to try it on transport.The best mod I ever made!!!Total reality and easy presentation.Everything is so natural with great timbre.Seems that air suspension have decreased stress on reading mechanism because the details that came out are incredible.

Hi, can we see pictures, you seem in heaven? ;0)

Guy

Hello everyone, I drew up some plans to have a chassis made for the shigaclone. Its a solid 2" thick milled aluminum chassis. It should be quite heavy and "high-end looking". It is similar to the one made by BMW850 but it will be much smaller (12.5"x12.5"). I am thinking about starting a group buy if I can find others interested. I cant afford to have one custom made (I got some quotes of $260-$300 for material and labor) Hopefully, a group buy can bring down the price. This is for the top section only. There will be a recess and cut out where the JVC mech will fit right in. The lower section will not be custom milled. It can easily be made from aluminum plate so I will leave that up to you guys to make. Please look at my plans and let me know if anyone will be interested. Remember this is only for the top section and I am hoping to find a place that will do it for $150-$200.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Looks great, I'm interested.