Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 201 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st October 2008, 09:01 PM   #2001
diyAudio Member

another one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20080918_10,2.jpg (61.4 KB, 1717 views)
Old 1st October 2008, 09:49 PM   #2002
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi Fran

Ask Peter he may have one in stock.

Will do - although i did send him an email last week and haven;t heard anything. Maybe he is away or something at the moment. i'll wait a little longer in case he's out of contact ...

Fran
Old 1st October 2008, 10:04 PM   #2003
diyAudio Member

Peter is normally quick with replies so I guess he is away at the moment.
Old 2nd October 2008, 12:03 PM   #2004
diyAudio Member

Hi

Could you please shigacloners advise about PS fuse protection values

Thanks

[IMG]PS[/IMG]

JC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ps.jpg (19.5 KB, 1535 views)
Old 2nd October 2008, 02:03 PM   #2005
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Helps to know your line voltage.. I'm using a 1A slow blow with a 50Va power transformer on 120V/60Hz. Transformer is a EI type, toroids may require a slightly larger fuse or a time delay type to prevent nuisance blowing.
Old 2nd October 2008, 03:20 PM   #2006
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kevinkr
Helps to know your line voltage..
That´s the same in my area, 120V/60Hz.

Thanks

JC
Old 2nd October 2008, 04:42 PM   #2007
diyAudio Moderator

Given the load you would probably be just fine with a 1A slow blow.. You might even get away with less.
Old 2nd October 2008, 05:03 PM   #2008
diyAudio Member

Hi there!
I use 2 x 850ma slow blow, no problems at all. Teake
Old 3rd October 2008, 10:40 AM   #2009
diyAudio Member

Hi all,

A couple of questions:

1. Is there anything wrong with using the original transformer that came with the EZ-31 in the new power supply, or is it an inherently bad transformer?

2. I can't get the blackgate N 10uF/50v (out of stock) so I went for a 33uF N instead. Anyone see any issues with that?

3. Has everyone mounted their PS in a separate box or is it OK do you think to fit it all in the one chassis?

4. I have a LM7808 in what seems to be a slightly smaller size package than the regular TO220, but still in the same shape package (ie not like a TO-92). I'm guessing that it won't carry the 1A that a TO220 normall would. What kinda current does the shigaclone carry normally? I have big heatsinks I can put on this one....

TIA,

Fran
Old 3rd October 2008, 01:35 PM   #2010
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by woodturner-fran
Hi all,

A couple of questions:

1. Is there anything wrong with using the original transformer that came with the EZ-31 in the new power supply, or is it an inherently bad transformer?

2. I can't get the blackgate N 10uF/50v (out of stock) so I went for a 33uF N instead. Anyone see any issues with that?

3. Has everyone mounted their PS in a separate box or is it OK do you think to fit it all in the one chassis?

4. I have a LM7808 in what seems to be a slightly smaller size package than the regular TO220, but still in the same shape package (ie not like a TO-92). I'm guessing that it won't carry the 1A that a TO220 normall would. What kinda current does the shigaclone carry normally? I have big heatsinks I can put on this one....

TIA,

Fran

Yeah,
The small transformer results in a slight reduction of dynamics, and bass "slam" - it's subtle but after repeated listening tests I swapped the convenient little stock transformer for the much larger and quite inconvenient 50Va transformer that is now in the Clone.

Regarding the cap it is probably controlling a servo time constant, without checking I can't be sure - while not absolutely critical it is probably a good idea to stick close to the original value.

My psu is in the same chassis with the rest of the transport, but I have a fairly big box. Mounting it close means there is less IR drop across wiring which helps to lower supply impedance, but also means there will be a magnetic field and mechanical vibration in the vicinity of the mechanism. I did not notice any difference when I moved my transformer around, but I do have nearly 12lbs of mass the mechanism is bolted to..

Not sure about your LM7808, I would get an LM7808 in a TO-220 package if for no other reason than the motor starting currents are quite large. You might have a 500mA version of the regulator..

Hide this!Advertise here!