Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

I have just bought an demo ez51 cheap and fired it up,just digital out.
But i have an crackling sound coming out and it doesnt matter what resistors i choose.
I have tried my Quatafire external sound card the Super Pro box.
Just crackling.
But if i connect it to Behringer DCX2496 it works and i have very high output.
The input sliders at almost zero.
So its very high output from the player,but i cant tame it and get rid of the crackles that
come one second and disappear next and come back.
Any suggestions?

I experienced similar symptoms when my ground connection for the digital output came unconnected. check your ground.

Peter,

My next job is to do the PS and the mods you currently recommend.
i just want to make sure that ill be doing the right things.

1. for PS. can i use elna silmicII (and or) nichicon KZ instead of BG? will BG be better?
2. remove R5 and E5 and choke. Or remove R1-R5, E5 and choke. is this also ok or leave R1-R4?

Is C952 the R5 and C916 the E5 on the pdf? if not what is it? where are the ceramic bypasses of C952 and C916 in the pdf?

BG will be probably better, but if you can't find them, use whatever else that works. Silmics have good opinion and are certainly worth a try.

To summarize my most recent mods, this is what I do:

I remove the choke and caps C916, C952

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 1,160
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 1,144
I still use external supply as posted on a first page of this thread. Two wires from PS are connected to the pads where choke was.

I add two output resistors: 300/100 Dale (when building for myself, I use Vishay S102/Caddock) and in place of C916 I instal BG N, either 47/50 or 33/16 depending on availability.

That's all the mods I do presently, for more info see this link: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...ansport-shigaclone-story-118.html#post1669753

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 448
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 404
  • 00.jpg
    00.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 351
I also remove ceramic bypasses for those two electrolytics, altogether 5 parts.

Peter

I removed bypass C917.

Is the other one this circled thing marked JW927 ?

I cannot find a C963 as per the circuit diagram.

I replaced C916 with an ELNA 47/22 which iw the closest I have.

Attachments

• IMG_3575.JPG
    IMG_3575.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 494
Last edited:
I have just bought an demo ez51 cheap and fired it up,just digital out.
But i have an crackling sound coming out and it doesnt matter what resistors i choose.
I have tried my Quatafire external sound card the Super Pro box.
Just crackling.
But if i connect it to Behringer DCX2496 it works and i have very high output.
The input sliders at almost zero.
So its very high output from the player,but i cant tame it and get rid of the crackles that
come one second and disappear next and come back.
Any suggestions?

Well Solve solved the problem :D
It was an spdif ground loop from my sound card to the Behringer DCX2496.
I just went crazy dont know what was wrong!
Need an trafo to fix it,but it doesnt matter my daughter going to have it
so no need.

Digital audio and groundloops

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Im deaf or what?
Im not hearing any differences with 300/100 or what ever on the digital out.
And i dont hear the magic player sing, just an ordinary player.
Also, why does the spdif out work without ground??
Have done the usual mods with new PS.

Need to fill us in on some of the other details. Note that the 300/100 resistors on the spdif output are there to properly match the cable which should have a characteristic impedance of 75 ohms. The ratio was chosen to comply with the spdif voltage standard.

Note that a large part of the magic comes from the mounting arrangements, mass and tight coupling of the mechanism to that mass is necessary to achieve great results.

I have had a number of cd players and transports, and while mine differs in very significant details (mine is even more like the shigaraki than most due to the sanyo chipset in my boards.) the sound is rather good.

I will admit that the initial results were a little disappointing, but with further tinkering and a good mounting arrangement the transport really does sing.

Capacitor quality is kind of important, and if you used BG caps as recommended be aware that for no scientifically justifiable reason I can find they do need a fait amount of time to break in. (Note I have lots of other sources to compare to, so it is not just a matter of getting used to the sound as some would allege - the sound does change over time.)

A number of my friends are avowed digiphobes and have said that my transport and dac (what dac are you using??) are pretty impressive, enough so that they listened for hours. (One of them is not normally so inclined and would rather listen to a good LP, this time this was not the case, he listened for hours, and he went so far as to say he thought that in some ways it even surpassed my sacd player when compared on a couple of hybrid sacd disks.)

What is the rest of the system? Could it be that you have a resolution bottle-neck somewhere else?

Last edited: