Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 185 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd August 2008, 04:59 PM   #1841
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kevinkr
The crystal is soldered to the outer holes, the center hole is ground and is not used with the crystal. (The resonator had internal caps connected to this point.)
Thanks, I connected it like this, but with some cd`s (atm only 1 cd is readable) he hits his end stop, and somehow doesn`t spin up to full speed either...

I`m going to try to attach some caps. What would be a good value?
Old 22nd August 2008, 05:57 PM   #1842
diyAudio Member

Hello I have the crystal clock (trichord) with powersupply mounted with 2 wires and no capacitors and working....did you check all the other stuff eg. ...the toc switch....because that is a very weak plastic thingie...

I am suggesting this because you have a cd that gets read..

Anyway my real reason for posting:

GET RID OF THE MAGNET...

Using the Acryl or Delrin Platform and screw puck might be a bit of a hassle in the first place but in my set-up and in my perception it is nearly as "huge" as an expensive clock with powersupply and superregulation...

After loads of cd's I played since starting this project I became cd after cd rock steady convinced

Instruments and voices become much more
"recordplayer-like"...a virtue I have no clue to reach otherwise with digital.....
Old 22nd August 2008, 06:08 PM   #1843
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply Erik, I checked the doorswitch and its ok.
I tried spinning my clone without a cd, and it does exactly what it does when "reading" a cd:

- Spin up cd ( imho not wel up to speed and slow roll on!!)
- Move laser assambly 1 mm to the left ( it hits his end position after reading)
- Focus the laser (only goes max in, and max out, with no obvious trace of focus.)
- Call "00 / no cd

This is exactly what it does, either with, or without a cd...

I tried all variations on the caps, resonators and such now. Same with the added twisted wires.

To me it seems the laser isnt reading anything (perhaps because the cd isnt up to full speed? ) It just follows the same routine focus everytime.

I checked my PS, for voltage which was a steady 8.02 volt. I`m going to change the diodes now perhaps one is broken and its not reaching into his max current? I`m using msr860`s x2 btw.

Pff, this will be some trouble shoot ;-)

* edit: good point Erik, but no cd`s get read anymore now arg
Old 22nd August 2008, 06:10 PM   #1844
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
I am not quite sure if it's just a magnet. I think the mass of a new table mounted on a whole length of a shaft may have something to do here as well.

Changing discs is not really a hassle for me, when approched properly, the process can become very simple.

And yes, that upgrade is much recommended; it is also my impression that the effect can be compared to adding a dedicated clock, as I already mentioned previously.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 23rd August 2008, 11:29 AM   #1845
diyAudio Member

Okay another "mistake"....

The ring for the motor is not a succes ...the screws to position him opened up the ring...and height together with a perfect 90 degrees seems nearly impossible to get....to much deviation...

I seem to have found a better solution...

Out of a billet copper 12 mm I made a mounting hole nearly covering up the hole motor-encasing...

This time only ONE screw to adjust the height..

It is still possible to detach the motor by lowering it 1.5 mm and attaching the board not to the copper but underneath a strip ebony....by only drilling 2 holes through the copper...

A lot of work so far but I think this is an important bit....

BTW the filed bit next to the motorhole is for the toc-switch...I had to change that as well cause of the new construction...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg massivehole.jpg (64.3 KB, 1297 views)
Old 23rd August 2008, 12:09 PM   #1846
diyAudio Member

I have two transports I'm supposed to ship to one of our american DIY'ers south of my border. But, after a recent computer crash I lost all email and contact information. If you are the person waiting for these please respond.

Regards,
Dan
Old 23rd August 2008, 05:54 PM   #1847
diyAudio Member

Obviously this is not gonna work yet..but the way the motor is mounted in my 2nd "test-set-up" takes me further for new ideas.

...........................brainstorming.......... .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg belt.jpg (55.7 KB, 1291 views)
Old 24th August 2008, 01:39 AM   #1848
diyAudio Member

About my oscilator problem:

There was a small piece of cut-wire inside the laser compartment... I normaly don`t clean up my workspace, but I will from now on!

I had a spare one, so when putting all the parts on the "new" one, I came across that little wire that was obstructing the laser from moving properly.

Glad thats fixed -although kinda stupid.. -

How do you guys handle your mechanism when modifying?

I`ll install the crystal tomorrow, see how it goes. Atm, I`m happy I have my clone up and running again.

Thanks for all the crystal replies and help.
Old 24th August 2008, 02:01 PM   #1849
diyAudio Member

I followed Audio1st's design for the enclosure and mounted the transport onto a marble/granite base. The transport is suspended using 4x 60mm M6 bolts with thick rubber washers to absorb minor vibrations.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sl272425.jpg (66.1 KB, 1140 views)
Old 24th August 2008, 02:04 PM   #1850
diyAudio Member

And another
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sl272429.jpg (50.4 KB, 1199 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!