DA11 (15-pin) TDA7073 Focus
SAA7325H LM358 Laser pwr control
TDA1308 DAC

Sharp QT-CD110H
LA9241 LC78623 BA5914

Hope this helps

Regards
James

You should add the RC-EZ32 as well, uses the same chip family and there are instructions for its use on this thread. (See my old posts)

Ez-31

Hi Guys,
This Audio bug is more contagious than the H1N1 virus. I got my EZ-31 deconstruction boombox from Zellers. Now where do I start.:headshot:

Got a long way to go. Just hot off after making my 300B monoblocks. Also got speakers, this CD player and this bug will be the best to happen to me....:D:D:D

By the way for guys/gals looking for the EZ-31 in Canada , as xxxx said are easily available in Zellers.:):):)

Ez-31

Hi Guys,
This Audio bug is more contagious than the H1N1 virus. I got my EZ-31 deconstruction boombox from Zellers. Now where do I start.:headshot:

Got a long way to go. Just hot off after making my 300B monoblocks. Also got speakers, this CD player and this bug will be the best to happen to me....:D:D:D

By the way for guys/gals looking for the EZ-31 in Canada , as Leoparluer said are easily available in Zellers.:):):)

Hi keyboard123!

Welcome in this thread, instructions are everywhere between post #1 to #3621. I strongly suggest that you start from beginning (post #1 that is) and work your way through. If you are here to learn like I was then read all of them. You decide what you prefer to take or leave. You'll probably end-up with an authentic transport like I guess the majority of us. This baby is fully customizable once you start playing and tweaking it.

Here is your basic start:
Service Manual: Post 67
CD Player mods: post 204
PS: post 6
CD Flatfish notes: post 792
Peter once referred to me as most suggested mod: post 2336

Have fun, invest yourself and people will help you...

I have to agree totally , I too have compared the shigaclone (with the power supply mods and ebony support and puck) with high end cd transports, including top of the range pioneer stable platter, audionote cdt2, cec belt drive, philips cdm1/0,vrds teacs, micromega. A lot of these were also reclocked, upgraded caps and power supplies, I have even made some of these transports run off a valve sp/dif as per Lampizator, which does indeed give the signal a more clearer sound. etc etc.None, in my opinion have come very close to the shigaclone.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I have a recently built MyRef coupled with a lightspeed attenuator and feeding 10 inch full range AN drivers. The weak link is now the source, a Sony DVP-NS900V which is used 99% for CD’s as I only have a couple of SADC’s and don’t have a television.
I do not use vinyl and probably won’t in the foreseeable future.

I have read from start to finish both this thread and Soundcheck’s PC approach using Linux. Both were complete eye-openers for me and both have their attractions but I have decided that the PC approach will stretch my limited knowledge and abilities too far at the moment and so I’ll try my best to make a Shigaclone keeping the Sony as an SACD player only.

Rather than repeating the same technical questions all over again and boring the socks off of all the other browsers to this thread I wonder if anyone out there would agree to become my mentor in this project. We would communicate by PM and if the mentor felt that a topic should be put onto the forum, he should do the posting. How does that sound?

In the meantime, other than Googling around, I have not started to look for suitable JVC’s yet. I fear it’s going to be difficult to find one in France. Any suggestions would be most welcome. I will also be in Brussels for a couple of days in November so anybody know of a Belgian supplier?

It looks to me that I am the only one that managed to stuff this up. I finally find some time to do the Shigaclone and just to find out that it does not want to power up.

I modified the 31 model JVC as per instructions. The PSU is fine and running, I have voltages on the board and they all appear normal. The only thing is - nothing moves. Motors do not spin, laser does not move, display is blank....

I am confused - is there any switch (apart the CD door one) that has to be closed for this to start??

I doubt that I killed any of the DSP chips - I worked with antistatic strap and on the AS mat.

If nothing is happening it's most likely power problem.

What exact mods did you do? Did you try the unit out of the boombox, but without any mods first? Is the ribbon cable to display module inserted properly?

Well I did not bother to do a test run before doing the mods (my wrong) since everything described in your PDF was straight forward. I removed the choke, replaced the caps, put in the citizen oscillator with two small caps to ground (10pF). Power is definitely connected properly. I do have voltage on the board, I managed to check the 5V line on the main board and I do have voltages on the control board and on the pickup (laser card). The only problem is - nothing is moving. I can post some pics today (I am at work at the moment).

It is alive! Well there was one thing I was not 100 % sure - caps from oscillator legs to ground. I know that the last suggestion is to leave the original clock in place and that in previous incarnation the caps were not even necessary. What I did wrong I still do not know but after removing the caps between the oscillator and ground everything works.

Regardless I might try to get another transport and do the mods more carefully and with more testing.

All in one

I just completed building all-in-one player and it sounds surprisingly good. Seems like getting rid of digital interconnect has advantages.

Hi Peter,

I have a EZ51 on its way and have to decide which route to go.

Your All-in-one player in post 3406 did get much reaction. Can you expand a bit. Do you see advantages, improvements? Did you make a housing for it?

Well done.....
now, how does it sound?

Fran

It is a bit dark - deep bass, soft, almost analogue like. There is some authority and relaxed feeling about the sound I would say. I will wait for a while before doing any judging. However I will get another one and do a step by step mods with more critical listening between the steps.

Last edited:
It is a bit dark - deep bass, soft, almost analogue like. There is some authority and relaxed feeling about the sound I would say. I will wait for a while before doing any judging. However I will get another one and do a step by step mods with more critical listening between the steps.

That's what you get when using too many BG N caps. It was also one reason I switched to more "simplified" version: it's more intense and live.

Your All-in-one player in post 3406 did get much reaction. Can you expand a bit. Do you see advantages, improvements? Did you make a housing for it?

It was a unit I built for a customer. AFAIK, he was very happy with it.

These days I'm not too finicky about appearance and prefer to build it fast and efficiently. Those would be advantages, as to improvements, it depends on a listener.

If I would be doing it again, I probably wouldn't change anything.

Attachments

• CDP1.jpg
    CDP1.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 809