Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

summilux said:
I'm wondering if there is anything particularly special about the Hammond-based PS. You see, I am trying to put together a $250 order (which is now minimum) from Plitron and I thought I might put a torroid in.

Hi Summilux

As far as I can tell, the Hammond unit is just a normal E I core transformer with a central tap. (a central tap allows one to use two diodes instead of four). However from what I understand E I core transformers perform better in digital circuits than the torroid type.

Hope this helps. :)

You can get those from http://www.centrehifi.com/.

When I ordered. I asked for 2, and was quite surprised the order was accepted.

Considering I did not get confirmation, I emailed centrehifi directly through their customer support, and they confirmed the item was out of stock, but that they would enquire from the manufacturer. The day after, they confirmed I would get it in the next 5 days. I got it, though the puck top side is gray, comparatively to the one I got last year, which was black.

Same model though.

It apparently came through Mississauga.

Hope this helps!

Malvin and Summilux, sorry I haven't followed up on my offer to track down some more of these. I didn't get much interest initially so I assumed that people were finding them elsewhere or weren't interested.

If I get a chance to get back to Fergus, I'll pick up a couple if they still have any. This was at a Source by Circuit City - I don't think any other Ontario locations have.

-Dan

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Sparhawk said:
Malvin and Summilux, sorry I haven't followed up on my offer to track down some more of these. I didn't get much interest initially so I assumed that people were finding them elsewhere or weren't interested.

If I get a chance to get back to Fergus, I'll pick up a couple if they still have any. This was at a Source by Circuit City - I don't think any other Ontario locations have.

-Dan

Dan,

There are some other possible sources in our area. Email me if you like some info.

Regards,
Dan

Sparhawk,

thank you very much. Actually I managed to buy EZ51 of ebay UK. Travelling to Europe in May, so I'll pick it up there.

I like its shorter display board btw

I guess I don't need EZ31 anymore. As far as I understand you didn't puchase one yet. (However if you did already, I'll get it, np)

hi,

can anyone confirm that the ez51 is the same mechanism and chip/ layout?

i'm a newbie but feel i can just about follow the pdf instructions at the begining of this thread, but only if they are almost identical to the ez51....

some people have said that this is a different chipset ad mechanism and not worth the bother....

cheers in advance

stuart

Hi DaveM!

Thanks for your reply. If we refer to the attached picture, is it near the red tab on the left? Am I supposed to peel the clear plastic, unsnap
something or unglue? Sorry I don't have it in my hands presently.

Peter, I had to use one of your pictures as it is the only one I could put in my hand since I'm at work and it's the best one I've found.

Thanks.

The white plastic frame for display is attached with two screws and two plastic snap in tabs. You may pull it off a bit, but you won't be able to remove it completely, unless you desolder all 12 or so pins from display window, which need to come off first.

To get access to a LED pulling it off a bit may be sufficient though. The LED is soldered to the PCB.

Hi Peter!

Thanks, I'll have a look at it tonight, I understand that it seems tricky. I wasn't able to attach your picture...don't know why. Tried again and failed.

While you are here Peter, have you tried the motor upgrade by separating them from the PCB? If it makes up for better sound I'll go for it but I'm a bit puzzled on how to prolong the switch.

Thanks,
Guy

I didn't want to go into separating the motors, while it may offer subtle improvement I prefer to keep things simple. Besides, I already have another transport with well separated motors;)

Attachments

• tl0.jpg
    tl0.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 1,147