Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

audiojoy said:
Erik I just happen to have the trichord clock 4 which i originally bought for the pioneer transport. I will have a go this weekend with it.

Please post your impressions asap.
Following Erik advice, I've taken a look at Trichord site. They declare a frequency tolerance of 2ppm at 25°C. Citizen CSA309 declare a tolerance of 30ppm at 25°C (for the model sold by Digikey). Trichord declare that CD players usually install clocks with 100-250ppm tolerance, sometime worse, even hi-end products.
I see a great improving in sound from stock resonator to Citizen, I think I'll take a look at an external clock in the near future. ;)

m.massimo said:
Following Erik advice, I've taken a look at Trichord site. They declare a frequency tolerance of 2ppm at 25°C. Citizen CSA309 declare a tolerance of 30ppm at 25°C (for the model sold by Digikey). Trichord declare that CD players usually install clocks with 100-250ppm tolerance, sometime worse, even hi-end products.
I see a great improving in sound from stock resonator to Citizen, I think I'll take a look at an external clock in the near future. ;) [/B]

IMHO those tolerance values are quite useless because they say nothing about how quickly or slowly the frequency varies. What if a clock is always 100 ppm off, but rock steady? And what if a clock has only 20 ppm but varies wildly within those 20 ppm?
That's probably the cause of Erik's observations:

Originally posted by Erik van Voorst
I know the parameters of ppm gives a kind of info but I have heard several clocks all within those specs "sounding" different.

"Different" is not necessarily better. In that respect having only 2 ppm tolerance can (theoretically) only be beneficial.

My apologies its called the" Pink fish media flea" You need to join to get access
Schematic here

Believe me I have checked this **** out and it rocks!:devilr: :devilr: :devilr:

Attachments

• fleapower.gif
    fleapower.gif
    10.8 KB · Views: 967
puck

My experience till now says that less mass is better.In the past I tried original stock magnet(only the ring).Then I made plexiglass one and finished with carbon fiber now.The carbon is so light in mass and if not mistaken the same material family as cd medium.
Maybe for that reason it sounds fast,clear,natural in trebles and powerful in bass.The best is with middle frequency ,so present and natural.Dynamics are explosive and the string instruments have such more colors in each passage then before.For the first time I have perfect tonal balance in whole spectrum.
I also use carbon tips as suspension of the motor base and one side of the metal is clamped with carbon tube(side along laser tray).Tips sits on kind of wheels to reduce vibration stress on disc spinning.
If somebody is interested to pick an idea I can send him photos on mail.I have tried to post some pics but don't have patience and time for Photoshop picture size reducing ,have to enjoy music and experimenting with materials not Photoshop.
After applying carbon in puck the track skipping is faster,motor much silent and I see the laser have less vertical work to do(suppose that cd is much effective clamped and not deformed as with other pucks).Another good thing with carbon is that don't have to be precisely machined because it is lightweight so you can do it with basic tolls and make some centering error.
Another thing , carbon made me understanding the essence of music creation regardless recording quality if musicians know what they do ,the change is so big...Who knows maybe ebony is even better but I can't find the material so carbon will stay for a while.

Thanks everybody for ideas

Great stuff carbon we are all carbon based units and it exists in everything we touch!
However electron flow is a different subject,which brings us back to the Shigaclone.

Rabbit rabbit Alexander Graham Bell and John Logie Baird Both had something in common, They both believed their systems would work." AND THEY DID" Because of their belief they changed the world .
We now need to start thinking outside the box as they did!
Science is just that and there is no room for religion or ********!