Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 16 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th April 2008, 05:59 PM   #151
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Many thanks Peter

- J
Old 7th April 2008, 12:21 AM   #152
defect9 is offline defect9  Ireland
diyAudio Member

http://www.zalmar.com/detail-Audio-P...io-RCEZ_31.htm

seems to be in stock...

-Jared
Old 7th April 2008, 01:03 AM   #153
jimbo51 is offline jimbo51  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default EZ31 in Oz

Think I just scored the last EZ31 from Hagemeyer! Person I spoke to wondered why there had suddenly been a run on them.

Thanks for the tip enzedone.
Old 7th April 2008, 01:31 AM   #154
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

defect 9,

When I searched Zalmar's sales history, I found user feedback saying they had out of stock items displayed on their site. I hope that isn't the case with this. I've requested they advise of their stock on the ez31.
Old 7th April 2008, 02:08 AM   #155
defect9 is offline defect9  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed LaFontaine
defect 9,

When I searched Zalmar's sales history, I found user feedback saying they had out of stock items displayed on their site. I hope that isn't the case with this. I've requested they advise of their stock on the ez31.
well shoot. that'd be a bummer for me if they're really that lazy about updating their site

-J
Old 7th April 2008, 03:07 AM   #156
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Peter, yours looks absolutely great. Hopefully I will get the replacement boom box in a few days, and will be able to report back whether or not the RCEZ32 is a viable option as well. I got the last remaining one at the vendor I have been dealing with.. Hopefully I can get home before the next one is delivered to theft central - it is not clear to me that the seller understood that I need signature required for delivery.

My new dac is shaping up nicely and this transport would complement it nicely for occasional cd playback. (Mainly want to keep the hours off of my sacd player.) Also this whole project just looks like fun. I'm dying to get going with whatever hardware platform I end up with.

Fingers crossed that; a) it gets here, and b) it has a usable board and mechanism.
Old 7th April 2008, 07:22 AM   #157
diyAudio Member

Peter, not sure of you have posted this, but could you describe the sound of this clone? Also, sound vs Mark Levinson etc.

Is there really anything special about this PCB?
It comes from a mass produced boom box, so is there any chance that just about ANY boombox PCB will sound similar, assuming a few mods were done as per this thread?
Old 7th April 2008, 12:51 PM   #158
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Here are some posts that may explain some things about boombox advantage:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...t=#post1189723

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...32#post1173832

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...t=#post1330555
Attached Images
File Type: jpg laser.jpg (85.4 KB, 4319 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 7th April 2008, 01:21 PM   #159
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr.H
Peter, not sure of you have posted this, but could you describe the sound of this clone? Also, sound vs Mark Levinson etc.
While over the weekend I was modifying the chassis to install the display panel I put on my modfied Levinson ML37 . Now, unmodified unit sounds so uninteresting that I couldn't listen to it at all, with the mods, it comes pretty close to ML31.5 and is quite listenable.

So after switching to Levinson, I got impression of very well defined and presented mids and highs, with proper PRAT, probably a bit less bass than with clone, however, the thing that strucked me the most was slight edginess: the sound had still some digital character that I already forgot about when listening for months to Shigaclone.

The clone is very smooth and natural, I don't miss my analog rig at all. It is very similar in charachter to CEC TL0 which was my reference for last 2 years, it keeps the best virtues of that transport and adds a bit more excitement ; for me, it translates into more involvement while listening. The clone also seems to have more resolution and fine detail comparing to TL0.

Did I already mentioned that the clone became my new reference and it replaces the 5 transports you see in picture below? No kidding

PS: The performance of the transport is only as good as the DAC that is connected to it. Also, the DAC will only sound as good as the transport that feeds it. Without those two matched well together, you won't be able to truly ***** the virtues of either. In all tests I was usning modified BiDAT: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...594#post901594

Click the image to open in full size.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 7th April 2008, 03:36 PM   #160
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Interesting comments about the magnetic pucks perhaps being one reason why some transports do not sound as good as they should. I'm wondering if this is one of the reasons the (modded ouput stage) PS1 sounds so good - there is no puck...

Still not sure why - in theory - a PC cannot become the perfect source. I use EAC to rip an exact copy of the CD to my hard drive. Surely that means that each time you play the file on the PC you're getting all the information that was available on the CD each and every time, unlike a transport where it's done in 'realtime' ? I use iTunes and Apple Lossless files running through a USB PCLink which creates the digital output to my DAC. Sounds very good to my ears.

Having said all that still can't wait to receive my JVC boombox and see what all the fuss is about

- John

Hide this!Advertise here!