Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

audiojoy said:
one step beyond - madness may be but fun exciting and like being at the forefront of scientific research, The quest for time travel will for ever make us search for that last bit of realism.

I am ordering another three ez51,s now only £20 each in the uk.

Those tiny surface caps are really bothering me in a rather primitive manner...... they look like bottlenecks but i am no electronic engineer and cannot qualify that statement. But i do know that changing two tiny caps in the power supply pathway of the shigalone made a significant difference, imagine how many of those buggers on there!!

Just changed surface mount voltage regulators in VALAB's TDA1543 dac with lm317 again an apparent significant improvement in sound!!

I am gonna go for another trial of surface mount cap changes, try the bybees,my own DIY version-similar effect,try a pioneer stable platter turntable disc as the puck with its aluminium and rubber mat, add mass to the cd motor spinning wheel, finally consider the digitalampizator as i have already built and successfully used one. Hope I can find the time.

Master of confusion
:smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

Erik,

just to let you know I posted that item this morning - you should have it in a week or so (my internet is down at home so I have n access to my email at the moment).

I made another puck last night, this one is bigger and made from that ceramic/resin material I mentioned above. I'm kinda convinced that it sounds different than the ebony one but the difference is small. I didn't get to listen for long enough last night to really tell, but I think the ebony one might be better. We're talking very small margins though.

The screw down puck is definitely worth doing if you have access to the machinery. The spindle is easily made - you are best to start with 8mm stock and turn it down to 6.05-6.1mm then turn a portion to 5.9-5.95 and cut the thread on that. Try the thicker part for fit in a spare mech (we all have a few scrapped now, don't we?!) and trim by sanding if needs be. This part should be about 5mm long and the threaded part about 8-10mm long.

The puck is a little more work because you need to make a mandrel to hold it for turning.

So I'm glad now I stuck with this - thanks to all for your encouragement even when I said I wasn't going any further with it :smash:

Fran

m.massimo said:

And, is there any difference between the new pucks and the stock one?

Yes, pretty large difference actually!

My first experiment with this was posted back a page or 2 with just a wooden puck that just pushed on - obviously not good enough. After that made the screw on one, and theres quite a difference. Theres a large jump in resolution - now going back to the stock puck the sounds seems thicker, almost muddy by comparison.

I would say if you had a very "lean" sounding system, then the stock one might be easier to listen to. Each sound is more isolated in its own space - which I suppose is more resolution! It actually took a couple of comparisons to get a handle on what I was hearing. The other thing thats interesting, is that where a recording is sibilant (eg a nina simone or some ella fitzgerald/louis armstrong) that sibilance is not as bad - its still there but maybe sounds more natural.

So its well worth while doing if you can. And I could be corrected here yet, but I would think that a smaller puck will work just as well as a heavier one, so maybe try one that matched the drawing that Erik has first.

Maybe Erik you would link or post that drawing again?

Oh yeah - another thing. If you are going to do one in wood, make sure the grain is very even. I made one last night and there was a grain pattern in it - when I ran it on my spare mech there was a lot of vibration - becuase of the different densities in the wood. Thats one of the reasons why smaller might well be better.

Fran

Hi Fran

GREAT TO HEAR !!!!

I can hardly wait...(I did mail you asking the costs involved)

I know an ebony puck makes a lot of difference on a turntable....so it should make difference on this contraption since it is so close to a turntable (master of confusion) :D

The drawing is nothing special because it is the one published by Peter a few times in this thread, he probably took the trouble measuring.

Funny...one of my cd's I play a lot on the PiTbull is Ella and Louis....so I am anxiuos.

Besides a slight sibilance it is a wonderful recording (1953!!!!)revealing a lot about those 2 artists...a real joy to listen to....over and over again....making it a much better test cd than the usual stuff...

Attachments

• ella.jpg
    ella.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 849
I use the speakers corner re-issue of that album quite a bit to test my turntable set up! If not set up right there is pretty aggressive sibilance particularly on Louis' voice - april in paris would take your ears off!

M.massimo - PM/email me - just need to get my email back up running so give me a day or 2 to reply...

Fran

Another change today.
I removed the stock resonator and installed a Citizen (Digikey 800-8441).
I should say that the difference in my chain is dramatic. Better bass, more clarity, better instrument definition in space and size and, hallelujah, no more shrilling highs.
I listened track #1 of Jazz at the Pawnshop and I've never heard vibraphone in this way. Shiga keeps improving.
Last evening (before crystal change!) a friend of mine tested his 3DLabs transport (around 1800€) linked to my TPA Opus DAC. When we turned on the Shiga at the end of the session, there was a clear winner. Shiga rules! ;)

Attachments

• citizen glued.jpg
    citizen glued.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 826