Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th July 2008, 01:34 PM   #1501
jonners is offline jonners  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dantwomey

You have me puzzled here. I'm building a separate clock (KC7) with it's own independent PS.
dantwomey -
Sorry - poor explanation on my part. With separate clock and PS you remove the original ceramic resonator and connect as described by Peter in post 1420.

Puffin - I can't exactly tell from your pics where the actual crystal is located.
Old 26th July 2008, 01:38 PM   #1502
diyAudio Member

The ASDA store between Leigh Park and Waterlooville in Hampshire had 12 on display this afternoon.

And only 25

Make that ten
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jvc.jpg (24.1 KB, 1465 views)
Old 26th July 2008, 01:40 PM   #1503
Puffin is offline Puffin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

jonners. in the first picture the crystal is the silver part on the right at the end of the board. I have wired it as suggested by Audio1st, but it does not read the TOC correctly and then spins very slowly.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...amp=1206637320

The flea is only giving out 5v is that enough
Old 26th July 2008, 02:02 PM   #1504
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Puffin
jonners. in the first picture the crystal is the silver part on the right at the end of the board. I have wired it as suggested by Audio1st, but it does not read the TOC correctly and then spins very slowly.

Can you describe or give a link showing the clock circuit that you are using the crystal in?
Old 26th July 2008, 02:10 PM   #1505
diyAudio Member

jonners. Ignorance is probably my downfall. I don't think that what I am trying to do is a "clock circuit". I may be trying to do something that I can't (if you see what I mean)

This I assume is proper re-clocking board (Trichord)
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...amp=1216401853

I removed the crystal and attached it to the flea to give it it's own PS. I am now trying to attach if from where I removed it i.e to the two points on the board. I assume that the board has it's own clock circuit to power the Crsytal. Does Audio1st's suggestion only work if you use a re-clocking circuit?
Old 26th July 2008, 02:34 PM   #1506
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Does Audio1st's suggestion only work if you use a re-clocking circuit?

That's right. I think you are indeed trying to do something that can't work. You need to either connect the crystal directly to the board as a replacement for the original ceramic resonator (thus using the board's own clock circuit), or you use an external clock and PS connected as described by Audio1st and Peter.
Old 26th July 2008, 03:54 PM   #1507
diyAudio Member

jonners. Nothing ventured and nothing gained at present!

However, I thought I would attempt the flea as I had all the bits to put it together. I was amazed that it worked. So, as it was intended with to be used with the Tent ""CLOCK"I will obviously need to get one!

I have ordered one of the cheapo clock boards (20) from ebay mentioned in this thread somewhere, to see what it is like.

As I now have a spare flea clone, does anyone know if this could be used to power the existing clock circuit in the Shigaclone? If so where would be inserted.

I have just read this :-

Referring to page 16 of service manual: http://www.ferdsaudio.com/RC-EZ31.pdf

8V is connected right after choke L901 (the choke is recommended to be removed).

There is also 5V supply, based on Q902. If you want to use one super regulator you should probably start with 5V supply; in that case remove transistor Q902 and connect 5V wire from regulator to collector pad, the ground from regulator connects to negative pin of C916. You can also cut the trace from collector output (Q902) and connect external 5V there (that's why you see black wire jumper in some of my pics).

You may also consider 8V super regulator and this would connect right after choke (L901)

Presumably I could use the flea as described here?

Old 26th July 2008, 04:32 PM   #1508
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Presumably I could use the flea as described here?

Maybe not. The flea, being flea-power, will only supply a max. of 30mA. I'm not sure what current the board will consume, but I think it's likely to be more.
Old 26th July 2008, 04:50 PM   #1509
diyAudio Member

O.K, maybe Peter or Audio1st may know if it has enough guts. Thanks.
Old 26th July 2008, 05:45 PM   #1510
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by jonners

Maybe not. The flea, being flea-power, will only supply a max. of 30mA. I'm not sure what current the board will consume, but I think it's likely to be more.
The clock circuit in the stock setup is integral with the LC78601 DSP IC which I believe uses significantly more than 30mA. (data sheet not currently to hand) Not only this but the ASP should be powered off of the same supply to prevent issues with logic levels between the two ics.

Hide this!Advertise here!