Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 142 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th July 2008, 11:39 PM   #1411
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Puffin
Erik. Have you replaced the original crystal oscillator (E7 on Okapi's PDF) with the clock ?
Puffin,

Yes I first listened extensively to the original clock after I got used to the sound (2 weeks 3 hours a day) I replaced it for Peters Citizen which performed better...(a big bang for the buck only a dollar or so) and again took care that I got used to the sound.

Switched it today for the Trichord...that performed immediately to classify as a no-brainer......although it costs 6 times the boombox (without supply).

Without effecting the precious analog effect
(I take special care in NOT trying to build a second Wadia) nor all the other specific original elements it manages to enhance all the magic substantially and takes it to the next level in my set-up .

It is now playing in the same league as the Wadia...and still on his wooden board.

Kevin I am not sure you have to google I thought 8 to 13 Volt will do nicely but check it out.

Old 19th July 2008, 07:01 AM   #1412
Puffin is offline Puffin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Erik. Thanks for that. I have a Trichord clock fitted to another transport I can rip.

Kanifee. I assume that you are taking the analogue out to a pre-amp, then into the gainclone. I tried this and I did not have any problems with sound level. However the sound quality is poor. You really need to use these as a transport with a separate dac. You will also need to set the SPDIF to 75 ohms. See this thread for details.
Old 19th July 2008, 07:23 AM   #1413
diyAudio Member

Hello Kanifee can you tell me in which machine you found that miniature pcb for the motors and laser-switch.....

You would not have a second one lying around...(or anybody else)

Old 19th July 2008, 08:11 AM   #1414
kanifee is offline kanifee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi puffin, no no pre amp in my set up yet, just my gainclone, im still undecided about what pre amp to build. the analogue out was taken straight to my gainclone. It was more just a test to make sure i had gutted it and fitted the new PCB without damaging anything.

Erick i don't have another miniature PCB as i accidentally stumbled upon this one, the hifi had the correct chips etc, but the PCB was to large as the radio module and other stuff were all on it. for a more experienced person it may have been easier to reverse engineer the board to cut away the unnecessary bits but i wasnt confident enough to have done this.
Ill sort out the model for the radio and post back soon, i can also keep an eye out for any other radios like the one i found and report back.

Is it also possible to construct an external clock like you own or not worth the hassle?
Old 19th July 2008, 08:19 AM   #1415
diyAudio Member

Okay no problem...I can always put a switch on a homemade breadboard attached to the motors...or a cleaned spare board....
I was realy interested in the easy way to determine its exact location by only attaching it to the motors.....
Old 19th July 2008, 08:48 AM   #1416
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.
Erik that's the unit the miniature PCB was salvaged from, there are 3 bush cd players i have seen almost identical to this bar button layout and decorative layout of the cd cover.
Id put pretty good money on the cd assembly being the same, the size and dimensions are the same so the laser rack and spindle will have to be separated equally as far from the main PCB as the unit i had.
As far as i know its a Bush LS something or other. maybe you have seen one somewhere.
Old 19th July 2008, 11:25 AM   #1417
jonners is offline jonners  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kanifee
lastly what sort or prices are external clocks and what are some suggestions as i have absolutely no knowledge of clocks.

This looks interesting, and quite cheap. Has anyone tried one, I wonder?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=022
Old 19th July 2008, 11:49 AM   #1418
diyAudio Member

Looks pretty good, i think something like that will be what i end up with
Old 19th July 2008, 02:52 PM   #1419
jonners is offline jonners  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have a Trichord Clock 3 of the right frequency in my Teac VRDS-10, which I'm planning to try in the Shigaclone. Would I be right in thinking that the clock output goes to pin 61 and clock ground to pin 60?
Old 19th July 2008, 03:05 PM   #1420
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Yes, clock output connects to pin 61, clock ground goes to circuit ground which is the center pin of the original resonantor (which needs to be removed)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC

Hide this!Advertise here!