Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Re: Who took the Pic?

Audiofanatic said:

Hi Erik,

I was just wondering; how many hands do you have? ;)

In other words who took the picture? You are holding the PCB with both hands aren't you ;)

Nice work BTW!

Best regards,

Audiofanatic ;)

You are certainly not an avid reader......

The one holding the board is the artist who soldered it...go figure

:D :cool:

Re: annoying problem

valo said:
After i did install the ebay clock i did notice interference on my LCD TV screen i can see lines across my screen , i did trye to shield the CLK cable but that dident help mutch..

If i disconnect the clock my screen is ok again ..I dont have any ideas how to fix this..

If You investigate the 317 regs you will find they are the wrong way round. Eg the silk screen on the clock pcb is wrong
:eek:

Attachments

• clock.jpg
    clock.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 2,154
well I realise I arrived rather late to this particular party - but my EZ51 was relinquished of it's transport and display and is now fixed to the usual development board!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

had almost enough bits for an 8v power supply handy - apart from an 8v reg - so I dropped the ref leg of a 7805 down through 5 diodes to give me the extra 3V!!;) - I know, bit gash but it was just a lash up to get it going

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

it's currently feeding a cheap 24bit DAC (partially modded!) - still in it's cardboard box!

so far the only mods to the transport are a couple of ultra fast diodes, a proper 7808 and a couple of 1000uF caps. The combination is fed through the aux input of my Linn Classik and beats the pants off the Classik's own player - in EVERY dept. :) The pair are just amazing together. I'm so glad I saw this thread and really can't thank all the previous contributors enough.

My BG's arrived a day or so ago so I reckon I'll be attacking the circuit board this weekend - at the moment I don't want to unplug it to start modding - it's compelling listening - love it.:)

My postings will take some time now since the overhauling is started...

Besides that we need time to do it step by step with timely concentrated listening in between, I also give it the last significant "extra" bit of going extreem, since I do not like to tweak my components afterwards...

So loads of orders are placed again.......N Caps, Duelund wiring, Gold wiring and Mundorf Spreme silver gold cap 0.01 UF on the so called ERO spot.

I am in the fortunate position of having two identical modded boards in order to compare a new single tweak...like eg Mundorf versus Wondercap etc etc...

Because I am listening..listening...listening...bare with me... this step by step process will take time but I promise to keep you informed..and in the end I will try to post high def pics...:)

Attachments

• mcap_silvergold.jpg
    mcap_silvergold.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 1,566
eventually got round to getting those ez51's....... loads available at present on uk ebay about 14 of them at about 25 quid each. Yes it is a very very very good transport. Quite shocked frankly at the tonal timbres that give such presence and clarity to voices, thats without a single tweak and 'only' using one of those ready made sophisticated laboratory regulated power supplies so readily available from ebay. The specs for these power supplies make them sound so highly regulated not sure there is any point in building the power supply from scratch.

audiojoy said:
always ask the seller if they are willing to post abroad often they do not mind even if they have not stated worldwide sale.

The cheaper lot are actually brand new item number is

hurry i have bought three already

I can see.... This item has ended with Buy it Now.

No time to ask the seller...... you spread the news :bawling:

Edit: only one still available. Will go in the next 10 minutes, I guess.

There are at least 10 more of the slightly used versions without remote for 25 pounds ebay

How can something so cheap sound so good? Surely can only be due to circuit layout and the IC choices?? I thought i had been through the usual top notch cd transports these include
Audionote CDT2, cec tl2x, loads of original philips cdm1s,loads of pioneer stable platters, that incredible piece of kit within the Sony cdp555esd, micromega' cd3 etc etc. Although the jump is not apparently that great a leap from these to the shiga seeing as it does most things well BUT...... fundamentally it gets those timbral qualities right those subtle tonal shadings that allow accents and emotional cues to be picked up which makes it where analogue is at. This is in stock form mind without a single cap change and an off the shelf lab power supply.

Lehen - from what I have gleaned - the models that can be used easily are EZ31 & EZ51. The EZ32 can also be used with a bit more work.

I don't know if anyone has tried a 53 or 35.

Do the 53 or 35 have mp3 playback? - I believe that if the machine can play mp3's then it IS NOT compatible. (i think!)

This is from what I remember from reading this HUGE thread, start to finish twice now - and I could do with recapping on a few things again!! :xeye: