Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 141 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th July 2008, 10:41 AM   #1401
CeeVee is offline CeeVee  Portugal
diyAudio Member

I know you are most probably right Kevin, there are CDs where that would not work.....

Anyway it's worth a try, i know of some old PC keyboards with hall effect keys so it should be easy to try out some variations on the theme.
Old 18th July 2008, 05:24 PM   #1402
diyAudio Member

Today I really made a giant leap forward...
Despite Peter's findings with the tent clock I had a thrill with installing the Trichord no. 4 ...

At the moment I made use of the 8V reg supply to supply the clock I will build a dedicated..
(with help from my audiofriend...twice the fun !!!).

This takes the transport to the next level and is making it a serious contender for my Wadia...
The synergy and the beautiful anologue sound remains....but you get it in spades...

I used Eva Cassidy and the live feeling ...clapping hands...steel string guitar...etc gets more detailed and less edgy...
Instruments get more body...(something I thought would be only the case when supplying the chips seperately)

The Jolie Holland gets considerably more PRat (which it really needs otherwise it gets too bored)

I urge you to experiment...for me in my set it delivers....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trichord.jpg (69.9 KB, 1454 views)
Old 18th July 2008, 05:27 PM   #1403
diyAudio Member

....this is not only a zero figure for science...
(clock-speed-deviation indication on the Digital Lens)
I can translate it back in the music on my set.......clock at the proper speed works for me...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lens.jpg (65.7 KB, 1289 views)
Old 18th July 2008, 05:29 PM   #1404
diyAudio Member

Here the clock in motion and I made a complete Ebony coupling while I was at it (together with my friend Anton)..which sounded very rich for me...it probably will stay my way of coupling...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg playing.jpg (86.0 KB, 1461 views)
Old 18th July 2008, 05:34 PM   #1405
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Erik van Voorst
Despite Peter's findings with the tent clock I had a thrill with installing the Thrichord no. 4 ...

At the moment I use the 8V reg supply but I will build a dedicated....

This takes the transport to the next level and is making it a serious contender for my Wadia...
The synergy and the beautiful anologue sound remains....but you get it in spades...

I used Eva Cassidy and the live feeling ...clapping hands...steel string guitar...etc gets more detailed and less edgy...
Instruments get more body...(something I thought would be only the case when supplying the chips seperately)

The Jolie Holland gets considerably more PRat (which it really needs otherwise it gets too bored)

Interesting, perhaps I will try an outboard clock at some point. I assume this one has a local (5V) regulator?
Old 18th July 2008, 06:22 PM   #1406
kanifee is offline kanifee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Well today i got a pleasant shock, i warn you first that this is a little long ion the tooth for some of you more experienced DIY buffs but i like pictures so Ive got a few for you.

A friend of mine turned up to day from his work travels with this for me
Click the image to open in full size.

needles to say i was quite chuffed though i had a nice offer from Iian hay for his spare unit so thanks mate!

On my search for a compatible unit ive picked up a spare laser rack and gear plate with motors, the PCB was no good but these will do nice for spares. It also has a nice small pcb with the laser stop switch mounted to it, this is going to go on my new unit.

Motors all dismounted

And finally fitted to the new pcb

One thing im unsure of, the older motor has a PS1 type CD clamp with the bearings to hold the disc in place, which would be the better choice the puck or the ps2 style clamp?
Old 18th July 2008, 07:13 PM   #1407
Puffin is offline Puffin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Erik. Have you replaced the original crystal oscillator (E7 on Okapi's PDF) with the clock ?
Old 18th July 2008, 07:30 PM   #1408
okapi is offline okapi  United States
diyAudio Member

Default beware

Kanifee,

i have tried to use an equivalent mechanism to yours with the original ez31b control board.

i had some problems so i am curious to hear about your results.

i found i had to return to the original servo/laser of the ez31B because it would not work at all.

now i am using the original laser with the other motors but i have frequent tracking problems. i plan to switch the original motors back in sequentially but have not done so yet.

please keep us updated on your progress.

thanks for all the pics as well.
Old 18th July 2008, 07:49 PM   #1409
brgds is offline brgds  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Erik van Voorst
Despite Peter's findings with the tent clock I had a thrill with installing the Trichord no. 4 ...

At the moment I made use of the 8V reg supply to supply the clock I will build a dedicated..
(with help from my audiofriend...twice the fun !!!).

Erik,
I’m not surprised of your clocking success, I run my clone with external clock with separate psu and tranny since several months already, and there is no way back.
Btw. Funny thing, Eva Cassidy’ Live at Blues Alley was one of most plaid when tweaking my clone
Old 18th July 2008, 09:34 PM   #1410
kanifee is offline kanifee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Okapi, im still using the original laser and motors, the only thing i have changed is now i have a new pcb fixed to the bottom of both motors that includes a laser stop switch so i don't need to extend the reach of the original one to raise the whole mechanism above the main psb board.

Any advice on the CD fastening heads on either assembly and which would offer greater results?

I have had the unit up and running with the old psu and psu motherboard and all seems fine, skipped tracks both ways to check laser tracking, hard reset the unit to make sure it reads the disc fine and all seems ok, one thing i noticed is hooked up to my lm3886 amp through analogue output it seems awful low at full volume, will using an external DAC cure this. lastly what sort or prices are external clocks and what are some suggestions as i have absolutely no knowledge of clocks.

Hide this!Advertise here!