Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

:D ;)

Again a step further...again a couple of hours work with inbetween merry christmas and happy new year....

BTW I bought the Oyaide Gold plug so a friend of mine could get my wattgate and I could get one in matching colours...since it will be clearly visible....:D

Attachments

• top.jpg
    top.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 1,425
Re: Lettering on front plate

Tadousac said:
Hello Fran:
Notice the white plastic block on the front of the laser frame.I used Eric's idea and tied fishing line to the sled,passed it through a hole in the plastic block and let it hang on a brass fishing weight.This modification took the slack out of the geartrain and things sound clearer and more focused.

Tadousac,
could you pls take a closer picture of your "fishing" solution, how heavy is the weight?
thanks,

fishing line weight

Hi Andy:
I will take some more pics of the fishing line weight tomorrow.The laser toggle is the toc switch labeled so that other users will not look down into the laser.Golden rule is laser switch off while turning transport on, or loading a disc.

Attachments

• dsc_5243.jpg
    dsc_5243.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 1,347
I notice that most mount the laser mechanism pointing towards the front of the housing. Is there a particular reason (like ribbon cable length) for this? I'd like to put it pointing towards the rear of the housing, if possible.

(I can't check for myself yet as I'm waiting for the '51 to arrive.)

has anyone who has a unit up and working experimented with transport lubrication? I had a drop out at about the same spot on each CD. I think I solved the problem by cleaning the rack part of the drive? There was some small debris that the cleaning removed. I put some thin lock oil with graphite on the straight plated steel transport guide.

Re: Getting the JVC Boombox.

marklivia said:
Would any of you fellas in Canada be willing to ship me a JVC RC-EZ231 ? I'd be willing to pay with Paypal? It's so frustrating seeing this project and not being able to get the player here in the US.
Please, anyone? :xeye:
Thanks, Mark

Someone found a Sanyo boombox with nearly the same chipset; only difference being an IC designed to drive a LED-display instead of an LCD (post #2614). Alternatively, there are some models listed in Sanyo's product catalogue that have no MP3 support. I wouldn't be surprised they too have the same transport+chipset as the JVC RC-EZ31 and '51. Maybe those are more readily available in the US?

I got my '51 yesterday. A quick listen to it via the headphones out seems promising. Through the heavily veiled sound there seems to be a musical character. Yesterday I bought an old but brand new Micromega DAC1 for relatively little money (NOS as in New Old Stock). In the store I had listened to a burned-in demo model, but this one already sounds promising cold out of the box. I already had a look inside if this thing is tweakable. Very: Philips elcos everywhere and it just seems to be strewn with 7805s (16 regulators in total, 12 of which are 7805). It has some issues with my DIY-headphone amp, as there are some audible oscillations I need to adress. When the DAC1 feels burned-in I'll start work on the Shigaclone (which I'm burning in as-is at the same time).

Hi Woodfran

The best way is to use a small lead weight and cut bits off so you are actually shaping the sound...the more weight...the more weight in the music....I kid you not....give it a try ...

A quick experiment to find out if it does something is installing a weight and while listening....lift the weight with the palm of your hand....and see what I mean...good luck.

Hi Erik
Could You please
take a close photo from Your output board from Wadia ?
I am curios how they did that and maybe others too...
thanks
btw
great handy work
I done one peace from ez31
with pure wood, combining soft wood and hard wood
and good PS...
amased..........
now, i am trying to finish one with ez35,
little bit coplicated...
but I want to try I2S output...

:smash:

jitter said:
I notice that most mount the laser mechanism pointing towards the front of the housing. Is there a particular reason (like ribbon cable length) for this? I'd like to put it pointing towards the rear of the housing, if possible.

(I can't check for myself yet as I'm waiting for the '51 to arrive.)

Yes, ribbon is reason in most cases. Although would be also posible to position mechanism left or right.