Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 134 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th July 2008, 06:12 PM   #1331
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Erik van Voorst

Any Idea...

How does Junji with his Shigaraki/Flatfish/Pitracer get away with this.....especially in America...you can probably sue him
close to bankrupt....

Peter indicated some number of posts back that his has over 800 hrs of use so far with no deterioration in performance.
Old 14th July 2008, 06:16 PM   #1332
diyAudio Member

Peter,

You can probably answer a very important question...for all of the Shigacloners on this thread...

After approx. 800 hours of operation of your transport does it STILL outperform your other rigs..

If so ...then the degrading of the chip is still within the (our)audiophile specs.....and one can stock about 10-15 boomboxes to enjoy a lot of years the promised
"Perfect Sound Forever".......

Sorry crossmailing....however I did not read a check with the other transports...
Old 14th July 2008, 06:43 PM   #1333
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
What degrading of the chip? It plays the same as on day one, and my CEC TL0 sits on a shelf with no desire on my part to back. Do I need to say more?
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 14th July 2008, 07:48 PM   #1334
diyAudio Member

My thing is doing well so far. It does play very nicely; I listened to some good jazz recordings and some CDs I feel were well made and this little gadget is awesome!

I met a snag yesterday though: I tried to detach the transport mechanism from the control pcb and unfortunately, the spinning motor of the cd would not work at all. I checked continuity, which was fine, then re-checked by replacing everything as it was: it worked again!

So I re-detached again, put 20-22 awg cables, made sure the soldering was appropriate, and again, the motor would not spin!!!

Suggestions regarding this mystery?

I put everything back together again and it works very well now.

So far, the whole set weights about 42 pounds (17 for the power supply, and 25 for the transport). I have not worked on the control board yet (it does scare me a bit) though I found some nice switches (touch type) at a surplus electronic store here, in Montreal.

Still have to work on the damping of the drive: the box has 2 floors, the lowest to hold the stone box, the second, inside the box, to hold the transport. Between, the damping based on insulation foam.

http://homepage.mac.com/angaq0k/PhotoAlbum14.html

I did a few more photos yesterday, but did not take time to load them on the site yet.
Old 14th July 2008, 08:38 PM   #1335
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ed

Stephano,

Can you post a link or title of the article please? I'd like to read if they say why the battery source was nosier. It is always good to learn something.

Thanks!
This might be the article:

Low Noise Regulators

Regards,
Dan
Old 14th July 2008, 08:39 PM   #1336
Dan_ed is offline Dan_ed  United States
diyAudio Member

Pendergast,

Isn't there a relay that needs to be closed? I think that is the one Erik van Voorst made a long stick to close it with. You can try closing it with your finger and see if that gets the motor spinning.

Thanks Dantwomey!

Dan
Old 14th July 2008, 08:46 PM   #1337
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ed
Pendergast,

Isn't there a relay that needs to be closed? I think that is the one Erik van Voorst made a long stick to close it with. You can try closing it with your finger and see if that gets the motor spinning.

Thanks Dantwomey!

Dan

Travel limit switch.. IIRC it is normally closed and opens when the sled reaches the inner limit of travel. Something else might be going on here.
Old 14th July 2008, 10:05 PM   #1338
kanifee is offline kanifee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

WOOHOO orderd my DAC today ready to be moded which means i can make a start on sourcing a unit for this next week!
Old 14th July 2008, 10:05 PM   #1339
jonners is offline jonners  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pendergast
[B

http://homepage.mac.com/angaq0k/PhotoAlbum14.html
[/B]

Pendergast, from looking at your photos (nice work!) it seems to me that you are losing much of the advantage of the inertia of all that mass by continuing to use the green compliant couplings. If you mounted the transport rigidly, wouldn't the vibrations of the rotating disc and mechanism be reduced through being directly coupled to a lot of weight? You could then put some sort of compliant suspension under the whole heavy box. I may be wrong - but I think it could be well worth trying.
Old 14th July 2008, 10:41 PM   #1340
iihay is offline iihay  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kanifee
WOOHOO orderd my DAC today ready to be moded which means i can make a start on sourcing a unit for this next week!

Not sure if the pm is working but I have a spare stripped down unit now if that'll help. Away on hols this week but email me at iain dot hay at btinternet dot com to get in touch.

Cheers

Iain

Hide this!Advertise here!