Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 133 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th July 2008, 10:32 PM   #1321
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Erik van Voorst
The Metronome Kalista is a very respected cd transport
(ac powered) and the top of there line is now the 50.000 dollar Metronome Kalista Reference...and guess what...they power this rig with batteries...

So the former Jadis Designer is able to get some good results with this very much discussed way of powersupply....

I gues experimenting like Peter is the only way to find out...if you strike gold for your set-up and own way of listening...
Jadis... Bah Humbug!
Old 14th July 2008, 01:08 AM   #1322
Dan_ed is offline Dan_ed  United States
diyAudio Member

Well, if there is any absolute truth in audio it is that you won't know until you try.

Like most other ideas on this thread, I think I'll bread board the AC psu and then hook up the battery to compare.
Old 14th July 2008, 10:25 AM   #1323
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kevinkr

Jadis... Bah Humbug!
The Orchestra is not bad at all.....lots of experience with it, but the (first) Jadis cd-player is appalling ...horrible .....a standard phillips on mdf with a nice coat over it...
Old 14th July 2008, 10:41 AM   #1324
diyAudio Member

There is an article on tnt audio on power supplies and it comes out , for digital , that the batteries can be noiser than a PS .
Old 14th July 2008, 10:52 AM   #1325
slawney is offline slawney  Germany
diyAudio Member

The lenght of the stick depends on how far you place the print underneath the laser...obviously it is maximized by the length of the ribbon...and you do not want a longer ribbon...

Erik,
nicely done work with the separation of the circuit board from the transport assembly and the use of the stick to lengthen the relay actuators. Your example will help others in the future after their lasers deteriorate and need replacement. After the laser chip starts to degrade (it already starts after about 200 hours playing time) one can either (1) replace just the laser pickup (maintaining the sled /motor mechanism), or (2) replace the whole laser transport unit with its motors. If you do the latter, the bad news is that the pcb will have to be separated from the motors. In either case, a calibration will have to be done to get the best eye pattern with use of the trim pot on the laser pickup pcb after replacement. Just thinking of the future.... In any case, the mechanical isolation of the pcb from the motors is a nice step forward that you have made...
Got brass standoffs for my transport this weekend, but did not get too far in circuit analysis. Before I alter anything, everything will be analyzed and measured...
Old 14th July 2008, 12:43 PM   #1326
Pocoyo is offline Pocoyo  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Default Wait for meee !!

Algar, can you email me
what package you help ? dont forget
please let me know the price

for someone who make something group buys
for this thread pls email me maybe i will joint
the grou buys

regards,
jeffry_widjaja@yahoo.com
Old 14th July 2008, 01:45 PM   #1327
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Wait for meee !!

Quote:
Originally posted by Gulfstream
Algar, can you email me
what package you help ? dont forget
please let me know the price

for someone who make something group buys
for this thread pls email me maybe i will joint
the grou buys

regards,
jeffry_widjaja@yahoo.com
I just finished shipping two transports to Indonesia. It costs about $50USD and took nine weeks.

Regards,
Dan
Old 14th July 2008, 02:08 PM   #1328
Dan_ed is offline Dan_ed  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stefanobilliani
There is an article on tnt audio on power supplies and it comes out , for digital , that the batteries can be noiser than a PS .
Stephano,

Can you post a link or title of the article please? I'd like to read if they say why the battery source was nosier. It is always good to learn something.

Thanks!
Old 14th July 2008, 05:07 PM   #1329
diyAudio Member

Today I played with some materials...a test JVC which is lying around ...and copper stand-offs...

I use MDF and once the correct size I will use the same measurements with solid copper...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil-rig.jpg (94.2 KB, 1479 views)
Old 14th July 2008, 05:15 PM   #1330
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by slawney
Your example will help others in the future after their lasers deteriorate and need replacement. After the laser chip starts to degrade (it already starts after about 200 hours playing time) one can either (1) replace just the laser pickup (maintaining the sled /motor mechanism), or (2) replace the whole laser transport unit with its motors. If you do the latter, the bad news is that the pcb will have to be separated from the motors. In either case, a calibration will have to be done to get the best eye pattern with use of the trim pot on the laser pickup pcb after replacement.

Any Idea...

How does Junji with his Shigaraki/Flatfish/Pitracer get away with this.....especially in America...you can probably sue him
close to bankrupt....

Hide this!Advertise here!