Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

HO HO HO....

I had a rare Translite ATT Cable for christmas...to be used on my PiTbull Transport...as a huge tweak (the way of fabrication is unique)....Santa Claus really knows it all.....

Attachments

• translitecable.jpg
    translitecable.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 1,180
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
thermos said:
After no luck trying to find a RC-EZ31 or 51 in Australia,
I thought I would try and buy a Sanyo MCD-ZX530F.
It is quite a simple unit and made sure it didnt support MP3s.

On opening it up it has the same CD-06 (K17T40/41) Board with
DOUT etc.

Although, it does not have a LC78601R but rather a LC78602R.
Is this OK? Any advice would be appreciated.

The other chip is a LA9242.

The other disadvantage is the controls panel is different with no remote control.

I hope it is still OK, as I bought a second one as a spare!

I suspect this is going to work just fine, mine is based on the RC-EZ32 which uses chips (LC78629E/LA9241) based on the same core dsp and asp and is actually somewhat more similar in terms of features and chips to the original Shigaraki than the '31 clones. Works extremely well incidentally..

Another unit that should work would be the Sanyo MCD-XZ600F which has more in common with the RC-EZ32 based version I built. (Outboard micro-controller.)

I have mentioned it in previuos mails quite explicit including accompagnied photo''s.

Anyway it is a so called glass fibre optic cable and it is said to outperform the Toslink any day of the week...and some people claim it outperforms any digital cable...

I can only speak for myself but even the standard ATT job (Which came with the Wadia transport) outperformed the Cinch and RCA (expensive cables) easily on my PiTbull transport...so I have high expectations

Translite seems the absolute top...(because of the use of special quarz...the way of polishing and connector quality..etc)..
If you read the spare reviews on the net they seem quite unanymous about this rare cable...

I have fortunately a few friends with practical experience with this cable...so I minimized the risk of buying a cable on reviews alone.....(I Hope)

Unfortunately it is near impossible to purchase such a cable (let alone this brand) since it is out of production...so you have to search among used cables

I have been searching on the net for almost half a year...uhh...I mean Santa Claus....

I think the ATT Symphonic Optimism is still around you can check it out...

Attachments

• trans1.jpg
    trans1.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 1,547
kevinkr said:

I suspect this is going to work just fine, mine is based on the RC-EZ32 which uses chips (LC78629E/LA9241) based on the same core dsp and asp and is actually somewhat more similar in terms of features and chips to the original Shigaraki than the '31 clones. Works extremely well incidentally..

Another unit that should work would be the Sanyo MCD-XZ600F which has more in common with the RC-EZ32 based version I built. (Outboard micro-controller.)

Bought a few off the shelf resistors and tried the digital out.
Sounds OK, I am sure good quality resistors and the removal of parts would improve the sound.

Erik, let's just say that my jaw kept dropping further and further while I was going through the thread. Goed werk :up:. I wouldn't be surprised if your PiTbull sounds better than the Shigaraki (BTW, are you planning a comparison?).

Today I received confirmation that the '51 will be shipped to me soon. My version of the 'clone will be a bit more simple... I'm thinking to go in the direction Peter went with his second 'clone: some careful tweaks here and there. I can always take things further later, if I wish to do so.

Tomorow I'm going to look at and listen to a simple Denon DA-500 DAC with a twist (a JK Acoustics filter). If I buy it I might tweak it a little further before I start serious work on the Shigaclone.

I will be using my Primare D20 (mk I) as a reference. Ever since I fixed it, I can't help being surprised by the way it keeps me want to listen to CDs that haven't seen the light of day for years... This thing and I are on the same vibe...

jitter said:
Erik, let's just say that my jaw kept dropping further and further while I was going through the thread. Goed werk :up:. I wouldn't be surprised if your PiTbull sounds better than the Shigaraki (BTW, are you planning a comparison?).

I have always hated shoot-outs or comparing components unless
the results are needed in order to correct or adjust things, but certainly not to dissapoint yourself or others..there is always
" a looser " in that adventure.

To my ears and in my set-up I started to really like the sound after further modifying the "finished Shigaclone" which at that point Peter found already sounding definitely better than the original shigaraki and flatfish if I am not mistaken, which he had both in his possesion......

I take that as a "no" then. In a way I can understand completely.
As long as I'm satisfied with something (and right now I am very much so with my current setup) I don't go and try to make myself want even better. Building a Shigaclone is purely out of curiosity...
But I'm not sure, if if the opportunity to compare both players presented itself, I'd decline, I would be way too curious not to.

Hi Thermos! I did all the Peter Daniel first (okapi) mods, except I did use elna cerafines and silmics for the pcb and only black gates for the psu. For the resistors on the digital output I used a carbon and a dale RD60N. Thats the only thing I maybe want to change. I bypassed a few elna silmics with Vishay roedersteins 1837 for more openess. The sound cleared up a little bit with them. For so far its the best sound I ever heard from a transport.
Mojo, Teake.