Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story - Page 132 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th July 2008, 02:27 PM   #1311
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jonners

Erik, have you tried mounting it rigidly - without the compliant bushes?
I am still staying in the ELECTRONIC experimental fase...so I cannot pass judgement on differences between rigid or not...
Old 13th July 2008, 01:57 AM   #1312
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dantwomey

I shipped two transports overseas and they're late and haven't arrived yet. This 'issue' is discouraging me from doing anymore volunteering. If and when that 'issue' is resolved I'll look at buying and shipping more.

Regards,
Dan
My overseas delivery problem is now resolved so I'm now willing to ship some spare units again if anyone's interested.

Regards,
Dan

Old 13th July 2008, 07:51 AM   #1313
kanifee is offline kanifee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

How much are these spare units?
Old 13th July 2008, 07:54 AM   #1314
quan is online now quan  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Erik , how do you mount the wooden stick? and how high is it and to what point to ensure the laser is functioning?
Old 13th July 2008, 11:24 AM   #1315
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kanifee
How much are these spare units?
We Canadians are fortunate. There still is a retail supply of these units available. Try Bestbuy.ca.

Regards,
Dan
Old 13th July 2008, 11:26 AM   #1316
diyAudio Member

The lenght of the stick depends on how far you place the print underneath the laser...obviously it is maximized by the length of the ribbon...and you do not want a longer ribbon...

The stick is pretty much like a matchstick a little bit thinner...it is placed by a heatshrinktube (NOT HEATED) over the relais..and while checking the laserpath I added a little piece of sticky cloth to the lasercompartiment to make it hit the stick that is activating the relais....

Of course after you finalize things it is better to mount the relais to the board close to the laser....this is just experimenting...

It is definitively worthwhile....
Old 13th July 2008, 07:51 PM   #1317
Dan_ed is offline Dan_ed  United States
diyAudio Member

Just spinning some LPs today and reading through this thread. I finally got to the end and I have a question which I did not find any comments about. My turntable's motor is DC and powered by a large, 12 volt battery. I realize this is perhaps for different reasons than with a CD transport, but why not power a Shigaclone with such a supply? In know it is possible as the original player was portable. Could there be any benefit?
Old 13th July 2008, 07:57 PM   #1318
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
I tried batteries in a past, in many different applications, but in the end properly implemented AC power supply always sounded better to me. It's worth a try though.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 13th July 2008, 08:17 PM   #1319
Dan_ed is offline Dan_ed  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Peter,

Had you tried with something like a 400 amp, 12 volt? Just curious and thinking out loud. I suppose it would not cost anything much to give it a try and compare to the ac regulated psu.
Old 13th July 2008, 10:15 PM   #1320
diyAudio Member

The Metronome Kalista is a very respected cd transport
(ac powered) and the top of there line is now the 50.000 dollar Metronome Kalista Reference...and guess what...they power this rig with batteries...

So the former Jadis Designer is able to get some good results with this very much discussed way of powersupply....

I gues experimenting like Peter is the only way to find out...if you strike gold for your set-up and own way of listening...

Hide this!Advertise here!