Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Ccshua - the puck is mounted in the lid of the EZ31 you got the mechanism from.

Could someone correct me if I am wrong: Do the pucks from other makes of CDP, eg naim or the like fit this one? And if they do are they any better?

Has anyone come up with a better system than the puck currently in use? I've tried machining one, and while it looks better, it is still not machined perfectly and not only that, I cannot hear any difference compared to the black plastic one from the lid of the EZ31.

I really don't want to go the route of a screw on one as it would be a pain fitting it - especially when there is no easy means of locking the spindle when doing so.

Erik, Peter, Kevin etc what are you guys using?

Fran

Although it is detailed mentioned in this topic...I use one out of a bought batch of 4 Singapore platforms and the screw-on puck from an original Shiga..

It was HELL getting a platform and puck without a deviation so in 99 percent of the cases I would follow Peter's advice...

For the perfectionist who wants to go thru all that....it is definitely rewarding in the end.....(see previous mails) :cool:

Srewing it on and loose goes quite comfy without an extra device

To get it right it took me 5 platforms and 6 pucks .......and all the possible combinations....:crazy: :h_ache: :irked: :warped: :hypno2:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Herbies Audio and Shigaclone

I bought one of these: The Black Hole Top-Loader/SP CD Mat from: http://herbiesaudiolab.home.att.net/cdmat.htm and while I do not have a full sized puck obviously and perhaps it isn't doing quite what the inventor intended - it does seem to be doing something good on my Shigaclone.

I have absolutely no rational explanation and I bought it mainly because I thought it would reduce ambient light getting to the laser assembly through the disk, but I thought I heard some significant improvement in resolution of background details, some increase in ambiance, sound staging, and a slight overall reduction in the typical cd sonic signature.

I wasn't really expecting anything audible out of this improvement, but an improvement it seems to be, and it is not all that difficult to place and center on top of the disk to be played.

One of these days I plan to get an old laptop cdrom and cannibalize the clamp assembly. This should provide a very accurately centered cd for playback. I had to go back to the best combination of stock clamp components on hand after my debacle with the machined screw down clamp set up.

YMMV and this may or may not work for you...

kevinkr said:

I was not able to find information on the RC-EZ53H in English, but the RC-EZ37V is a definite no go. Any product that supports MP3 and ID tags uses a more recent chipset with a very different internal architecture.

The RC-EZ31, 32 and 51 have the correct chipset family for use in a Shigaclone.

Hello All ,

What about the RC-EZ55BE ? If RC-EZ51 is the subsitute of the '31 ( and it is and much bettere builded ) it look like the '55 may be in the place of the '32.

I am tempted to buy one of that too.

PS : does someonte ever tried the Toslink output to the Shigaclone ? The connections on board are made exactly for that . I am using it and must say it works pretty good .

Today I made the rear output board for the connectors and a block ebony as rear support....

Attachments

• rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 1,422
Today I mounted the miniature on/off switch for the display-led.
Also a plug and entree for its external supply.
So I can detach everything if there is a need.

The supply line is only a pass thru in the power supply unit because it is completely extern (wall adapter ):D

I am probably over my maximum amount of placing pics...if there is any........I cannot upload anymore....:bawling:

Anyone any ideas......................................:confused: