Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
alexg said:
Would the RC-EZ37V or the RC-EZ53H work?

These are just the two models that I can easily get in the Philippines.

Thanks.

I was not able to find information on the RC-EZ53H in English, but the RC-EZ37V is a definite no go. Any product that supports MP3 and ID tags uses a more recent chipset with a very different internal architecture.

The RC-EZ31, 32 and 51 have the correct chipset family for use in a Shigaclone.

I have been busy with the furutech inlet and the display....:smash:

Attachments

• rearmounted.jpg
    rearmounted.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,178
Hey there........................

I read a few posts back about people being concerned about the longevity of the laser/motors.

I ended-up finding a UK source for the laser/motor assembly- and it cost me about $16USD- shipped. I had the same concern being that I plan to sink a bit of money into this- and don't want to see my investment wasted in a few years.

To those of you who think that nobody would want to keep digital equipment for that long, I would remind you that there are audiophiles out there still using their Wadia Digimasters!

Anyway, perhaps it's my personality, but I like to have backups.

The URL is here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SF-P101N-CD-Mec...hash=item350101142263&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

Tonight I worked on the display...

I had a bit tough luck but in the end....

I made an extension for remote receiver and 2 very nice and very flat pushbuttons
start (pause) and stop....

The pronto remote is already programmed with the remaining functions and the display with the extended receiver is listening to all of them.......

I cleaned the window with (I thought) harmless alcohol...and ...bang....everything WHITE....
:yikes:

So I had to polish with toothpaste to get it clear again......

I taped the print and its display ''light- and dust proof'' then I found out that I forgotten to get the remote connections from the print...

You can now clearly see that I will use only the coinlike window...the rest is tape....the result is already a nice 3D look...photo is not so clear but when the lights are off.....MAGIC...

A bit of a jinx this evening (after a day at the office) I take it to be the tracknumbering......:cannotbe:

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,613
IT LIVES!!!!

I finished most of the outstanding bits and pieces tonight. Had a near heart attack when I turned it on first and found the display all garbled. Anyway it turned out I managed to solder on the extension ribbon I made backwards so that pin 1 was going to pin 9. Sorted that out and then all was well. I wired in a pot for the LED supply (20k - raw supply here about 16V) just after the rectifiers and that worked just lovely for adjusting the LCD brightness.

So all is working AOK, I have it playing into my buffalo DAC right now and listening on headphones. Sound is good and clear. I need to get some CDs from downstairs now to listen a bit more.

I did do a bold thing though. When I had it all apart I just went ahead and changed out most of the onboard caps for their blackgate equivalent. The only thing now left are the crystal and the original C906 'lytic is still in there. So I will be listening now over the course of a few weeks or months to this CDP once I finish and fit a lid to the case.

I'll take some pics over the next few days and post them up. I'm delighted though that I did as much as I did and she actually works!

Fran.

(BTW, real nice work Erik! ;) )

Just a note I meant to add but was too late to edit. I'm just using the original JVC transformer and it barely gets warm. The heatsink on the regulator stays cool too.

Great detail in the music so far and I see what people meant when they talked about the amount of bass. Even already it sounds much more natural than when I used a PC as source. I will have to hook it up to the main set up soon.

Fran

Hi. A friend of mine decided not to build the Shigaclone, so he has 2 original EZ31 to sell. I remove all the needed parts and can ship you only the parts to save on shipping cost. I did it for numerous members this past spring, but I cannot source the player anymore.

So this is your last chance to get it...

If anyone is interested send me an email. Thanks.