Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

another one

Attachments

• 20080918_10,2.jpg
    20080918_10,2.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,904
Hi all,

A couple of questions:

1. Is there anything wrong with using the original transformer that came with the EZ-31 in the new power supply, or is it an inherently bad transformer?

2. I can't get the blackgate N 10uF/50v (out of stock) so I went for a 33uF N instead. Anyone see any issues with that?

3. Has everyone mounted their PS in a separate box or is it OK do you think to fit it all in the one chassis?

4. I have a LM7808 in what seems to be a slightly smaller size package than the regular TO220, but still in the same shape package (ie not like a TO-92). I'm guessing that it won't carry the 1A that a TO220 normall would. What kinda current does the shigaclone carry normally? I have big heatsinks I can put on this one....

TIA,

Fran

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
woodturner-fran said:
Hi all,

A couple of questions:

1. Is there anything wrong with using the original transformer that came with the EZ-31 in the new power supply, or is it an inherently bad transformer?

2. I can't get the blackgate N 10uF/50v (out of stock) so I went for a 33uF N instead. Anyone see any issues with that?

3. Has everyone mounted their PS in a separate box or is it OK do you think to fit it all in the one chassis?

4. I have a LM7808 in what seems to be a slightly smaller size package than the regular TO220, but still in the same shape package (ie not like a TO-92). I'm guessing that it won't carry the 1A that a TO220 normall would. What kinda current does the shigaclone carry normally? I have big heatsinks I can put on this one....

TIA,

Fran

Yeah,
The small transformer results in a slight reduction of dynamics, and bass "slam" - it's subtle but after repeated listening tests I swapped the convenient little stock transformer for the much larger and quite inconvenient 50Va transformer that is now in the Clone.

Regarding the cap it is probably controlling a servo time constant, without checking I can't be sure - while not absolutely critical it is probably a good idea to stick close to the original value.

My psu is in the same chassis with the rest of the transport, but I have a fairly big box. Mounting it close means there is less IR drop across wiring which helps to lower supply impedance, but also means there will be a magnetic field and mechanical vibration in the vicinity of the mechanism. I did not notice any difference when I moved my transformer around, but I do have nearly 12lbs of mass the mechanism is bolted to..

Not sure about your LM7808, I would get an LM7808 in a TO-220 package if for no other reason than the motor starting currents are quite large. You might have a 500mA version of the regulator..

woodturner-fran said:

The suggested 10uF BG N was smaller than the originall value so going with 33uF should not be a problem.

All those BG N caps are PS bypasses, so the actual value is not critical. Proper voicing, with regards to size, may be influencial though and system/personal preferences dependant ;)