DAT tapestreamer ripping - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th March 2008, 11:50 AM   #1
OneyedK is offline OneyedK  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Default DAT tapestreamer ripping

Is there a way to use a DAT tapestreamer to "rip" the audio content of a DAT-tape to a PC?

The reason I'm asking this is that I have several recordings I made myself on DAT-tape that I'd like to have on HDD and/or CD.
I don't know how long DAT-tapes can be stored but I wouldn't want to lose these recordings.
Old 26th March 2008, 12:13 PM   #2
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Does the DAT have a digital output? If yes, you can plug the DAT into a soundcard with a digital input or to a Macintosh
Old 26th March 2008, 12:27 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by peranders
Does the DAT have a digital output? If yes, you can plug the DAT into a soundcard with a digital input or to a Macintosh
Yes, it's a Sony DTC-690, but making realtime copies would take me about two months!!!
Not to mention the jittery output of the DTC-690 and the not exactly top-notch performance of my soundcard...
Old 26th March 2008, 01:37 PM   #4
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

That is why you would need a sound card with digital input.
Old 26th March 2008, 01:43 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

And data DAT's have a different tracking system or track pitch then Audio DAT's. there is lots of info on the web about this. I looked into this years ago and there were reasons why no one does it...
Old 26th March 2008, 01:45 PM   #6
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OneyedK
Yes, it's a Sony DTC-690, but making realtime copies would take me about two months!!!
Is it possible with high speed copies , don't think so.

Quote:
Originally posted by phofman
.. and this is not particulary expensive.
Old 26th March 2008, 01:48 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phofman
I'm using Egosys U2A, SP-DIFF copper input.

Quote:
Originally posted by Zero Cool
And data DAT's have a different tracking system or track pitch then Audio DAT's. there is lots of info on the web about this. I looked into this years ago and there were reasons why no one does it...
Ah, I didn't know that. Tracking system and track pitch can be adjusted, I suppose?!
Old 27th March 2008, 08:29 AM   #8
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Well, with software that supports timed recordings (like Audacity 1.33) you can leave the system recording unattended. I've got a library of live audio recordings made on VHS HiFi and that's what I'm doing.

There must be such a thing as an autoloader for audio DATs, but I'm guessing it would be the sort of thing you'd only find in the broadcast industry or in duplication plants. I see a couple of computer DAT changers for sale on eBay... possibly a clever person could use the mechanism from one of those to feed an audio DAT drive.
Old 27th March 2008, 12:15 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dangus
Well, with software that supports timed recordings (like Audacity 1.33) you can leave the system recording unattended. I've got a library of live audio recordings made on VHS HiFi and that's what I'm doing.

There must be such a thing as an autoloader for audio DATs, but I'm guessing it would be the sort of thing you'd only find in the broadcast industry or in duplication plants. I see a couple of computer DAT changers for sale on eBay... possibly a clever person could use the mechanism from one of those to feed an audio DAT drive.
The DTC-690 has a loading system that is not compatible with any of those auto-loaders...
If I have to do it realtime, I'd better borrow some R500's and a ADAT-interface + AES bridge for my PC. It would be a huge setup, but it would save me a lot of time...
Old 11th May 2013, 11:04 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Join the Yahoo group DATHEADS2WAV.

Buy a Sony SDT-9000 drive and an Adaptec 2940UW card.

Buy efu's program WaveDAT with paypal (from Japan - about 3500 yen)

Flash your drive with the firmware 12.2 from DATHEADS2WAV (and make sure your motherboard has IDE not AHIC selected (may not apply to you))

And there you go. I have got mine running on Windows 7 64 bit although I did have to force the SCSI card driver.

Hide this!Advertise here!