DIY Top-Loading CDP ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th March 2003, 07:55 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default DIY Top-Loading CDP ?

hI,

First post from a lurker,so hello to everyone.What a great site this is.So much helpful info.

Anyway,a question -

In the "Group buy on CD-PRO 2, Philips transport" thread,there's a link, http://netcity6.web.hinet.net/UserD....RA-1.htm,which showing a Creative CD-ROM drive converted into a,rather crude looking,top-loader.

Can anyone tell me how easy it would be to do this to the transport section of an old Philips CDP? I can't afford a new transport at the moment,but I'd love to convert the Philips.
I'm currently upgrading the dac circuitry anyway).

That CEC machine looked great.I've always liked the look of that type of player.

Thanks for any answers.
Old 5th March 2003, 02:17 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I've just read the " CD723/753 tweaking!" thread,and there's a link there that deals with the very subject I asked about.

I'll study this before asking any more questions about the subject.

Anyway,sorry if I wasted your time.

I did do a search before posting,but didn't find anything.
Old 5th March 2003, 03:14 PM   #3
Rarkov is offline Rarkov  England
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rarkov Send a message via Skype™ to Rarkov
Hi,
Couldn't get your link to work but...You may be interested to know about this (huge) topic. It talks about Peter Daniel's (You'll get to know about him for his superb work!). Here is the link for you. It is a very interesting read (but long).

Also, nice to know someone in the North of the UK! Welcome! Where abouts in Scotland?

Gaz
Old 5th March 2003, 05:51 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi,Rarkov,

I messed up the link.Don't know how I managed it.

This should work - http://netcity6.web.hinet.net/UserD...FRA/iNFRA-1.htm

But it doesn't,even though I'm copying it from the other thread,and that's working fine.No idea why.

Don't know the language,and,like I said,it's pretty crude looking.I was interested because I hadn't known it could be done with a standard player.

Your speakers look great,but I couldn't find anything else onyour site,apart from the display.

I've seen Peter's work on many threads.It is quite amazing,isn't it.
I've seen the CD-PRO mentioned quite often.Not sure if I'd seen that thread,or not,though.I'll read through it later on.Thanks.

Thanks for the welcome.Glasgow's probably the nearest place you'd have heard of.
Old 6th March 2003, 07:31 AM   #5
Rarkov is offline Rarkov  England
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rarkov Send a message via Skype™ to Rarkov
Hi,
OT: My sister lives in Glasgow with her Fiance (Kinning Park) and I'm only in Newcastle so it's not that far to visit...

Thanks for your comments. I'm being a bit slow finishing that page...I will get around to it though! I have started on some Electrostatics and now I've finished my monoblocks and almost finished my matching Passive Preamp, I really need to make the mains filter for them...

Anyway - keep checking back for updates!

Gaz
Old 6th March 2003, 12:21 PM   #6
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You can find an article with full details of converting a Philips CD player to a top loader HERE
Old 6th March 2003, 12:57 PM   #7
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

Quote:
Originally posted by TheBigSky
This should work - http://netcity6.web.hinet.net/UserD...FRA/iNFRA-1.htm

But it doesn't,even though I'm copying it from the other thread,and that's working fine.No idea why.

TheBigSky,

The link doesn't work because you've copied the text from the original location, not the url. If you find the original link, you can right click and select 'Copy Shortcut' then paste that to make the new link.
Old 6th March 2003, 02:26 PM   #8
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You can find an article with full details of converting a Philips CD player to a top loader HERE
Old 7th March 2003, 01:08 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Sorry I didn't have a chance to respond earlier.

Rarkov,

I'm being a bit slow finishing that page...I will get around to it though! I have started on some Electrostatics and now I've finished my monoblocks and almost finished my matching Passive Preamp, I really need to make the mains filter for them...

I'm not surprised you haven't got much time for a webpage when you've got all of that diy going on.Busy man.I hope the projects turn out as well as expected.

Re:Glasgow etc. - small world,eh? I haven't made it into "the town" for a year or two,though, because of ill health.That's life.

Nuuk,
Old 7th March 2003, 01:36 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Sorry I didn't have a chance to respond earlier.

Rarkov,

>>"I'm being a bit slow finishing that page...I will get around to it though! I have started on some Electrostatics and now I've finished my monoblocks and almost finished my matching Passive Preamp, I really need to make the mains filter for them..."

I'm not surprised you haven't got much time for a webpage when you've got all of that diy going on.Busy man.I hope the projects turn out as well as expected.

Re:Glasgow etc. - small world,eh? I haven't made it into "the town" for a year or two,though, because of ill health.That's life.

Nuuk,

Thanks for the link.That was the one I mentioned finding through the " CD723/753 tweaking!" thread.I'll have to study it,and see if I can adapt it to my CDP.I would think that should be do-able.

Is that your site?Someone,in that thread,said it was.If so,congratulations.The system featured looks fantastic,and the articles aren't half bad either.Great stuff.

AudioFreak,Thanks for pointing ot my error.I thought that just copying the link worked.I'm sure I've done that on other forums,but I could be wrong.I'm not very advanced in computereeze.

Hide this!Advertise here!