Dead CDM4 ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,

Today I changed some parts in my Marantz CD-42.
Replaced the rectifier diodes with schotkyes and some caps.
Oh i forgot to mention that I have removed the tray gear, cause it`s utterly damaged.

Changing parts was quite easy, no cold joints or so. All perfect.

Plug in, the tray motor spins and voila: Error.
:censored: :censored:
Unplug, recheck the connections, all ok.

Power up again, same thing.
I`ve checked the +/-15 and +/-5 and these are fine.

The motor that spins the disc doesnt move. But why ?
All the joints are OK, no problems due to bad connections...

I dont think this is happening `cause of the removed tray gear. Something is fishy.

sandoz said:
same my marantz
the wheel goes off
I tryed to start the cd waiting to find out the wheel but I stopped the motor with a rubber and now it works
if you know someone who sell the wheel for a cdm4 please write

Sandoz, do you say that all of this is because of the removed tray gear ?

stoolpigeon said:
Are you still using the tray but moving it by hand? Remember there are limit switches that the tray operates. If you have converted to a puck arrangement you might need to check this.

sp

Yes, I am using the tray and moving by hand.

An older thread with same problem, read the posts of
f6dqm1 :

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1107727#post1107727

f6dqm1 said:
Hello everybody.
I am also looking for the CD-52 service manual.
None of the above links work.
The problem of my CD-52 is that it is impossible to read a CD after about one hour of work.
The light "error" appears when trying to read, even when changing CD.
I have opened the cover case. It looks like that the motor does not turn any more. The inside CD remains fixed.
When shuting down the CD player for more than 2 hours and restart, the motor runs again for a few minutes and will stop again.
Does anyone has got the same problem how did you solve it ?
Thanks in advance for the help.
Gab

I have a CD52 and I just pulled the lid off and disconnected the power to the tray motor and removed the tray belt. It plays fine by moving the tray in and out manually.

Predator, I think you have done something when you did your mods or you have not reconnected the mech properly. The flat connector from the laser can be tricky. Make sure it is seated properly with the clamp pulled up and then push the clamp down firmly.

There is a cutout in the side of the case so you can check. On my player you can just see the solder part of the connector.

sp

stoolpigeon said:
I have a CD52 and I just pulled the lid off and disconnected the power to the tray motor and removed the tray belt. It plays fine by moving the tray in and out manually.

Predator, I think you have done something when you did your mods or you have not reconnected the mech properly. The flat connector from the laser can be tricky. Make sure it is seated properly with the clamp pulled up and then push the clamp down firmly.

There is a cutout in the side of the case so you can check. On my player you can just see the solder part of the connector.

sp

Well regarding that flat connector is ok. I can barely see the solder part too. No problem here.

I tried with the tray motor plugged out, same stop: Error.
I will recheck all the solderings and connections.

Predator, what happens when you try to play a disc?

The disc should spin back and forth a few times and the laser lens should pop up and down trying to read something.

If none of this happens I would look back at the limit switches on the tray because it would seem the player doesn't know a disc is inserted.

sp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.