Philips CD721 player DAC - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th March 2003, 08:14 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Philips CD721 player DAC

Does anyone know what DAC is used in the Philips CD721 CD player. Is the mechanism CDM15.1 ? I guess this is not a particularly reliable transport !
Thanks.

just saw that it used the TDA1545. But is the mechanism reliable?
Old 4th March 2003, 08:57 AM   #2
massimo is offline massimo  Italy
diyAudio Member

DAC: TDA 1545 A
Mechanism: CDM 12.1 (AKA VAM1202) with Short Loader MKIII that include the servo board based on CD7 chipset.

The CDM12.1 IS reliable
Old 4th March 2003, 10:54 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Transport.

Thanks Massimo.

If the transport is the CDM12.1 and is reliable I am unlucky. I have a CDM12.1 in my Marantz CD67SE which died after about 20 hours of use. The disc does not rotate.
Ocassionally after pushing the front panel buttons randomly, it will suddenly start to play. Sometimes one or two CD's and then suddenly stop while playing a CD. Strangely the disc rotates in the opposite direction after a 1 sec correct direction start when in the service mode. I feel the transport is OK but something is wrong with the control. What can you guess?
Thanks.
Ashok.
Old 4th March 2003, 11:48 AM   #4
massimo is offline massimo  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Transport.

Quote:
Originally posted by ashok
Thanks Massimo.

If the transport is the CDM12.1 and is reliable I am unlucky. I have a CDM12.1 in my Marantz CD67SE which died after about 20 hours of use. The disc does not rotate.
Ocassionally after pushing the front panel buttons randomly, it will suddenly start to play. Sometimes one or two CD's and then suddenly stop while playing a CD. Strangely the disc rotates in the opposite direction after a 1 sec correct direction start when in the service mode. I feel the transport is OK but something is wrong with the control. What can you guess?
Thanks.
Ashok.
First of all, I was wrong. The above description belongs to the Philips CD 723, not 721. I guess the 721 was and earlier model, thus MAYBE it is using the Short Loader Mk II (with ceramic resonator and not a quartz and no capability to read CD-RW).
The DAC could be the same anyway.

From what you describe, I think the fault could be everything BUT the CDM12.1, but I cannot tell you what is broken.
Sorry.
Old 4th March 2003, 06:38 PM   #5
Asen is offline Asen  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Asen
Philips CD 721:

DAC - TDA1545AT
Transport - CDM12.1. Actually the transport is reliable. You can find it in pretty expensive CD players.

Regards
Old 5th March 2003, 04:56 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The DAC in the 721 is reasonable (but not good), but 4x oversampling is done inside the decoder and it is done VERY BADLY (look at stop band attenuation in the SAA7345 data sheet). Unfortunately, oversampling cannot be switched off without changing the uC, so the only way to get a single f_s data stream is to hardware activate the SPDIF output and use a decoder.

It has a ceramic resonator, which is one of the first modding targets.

I have one sitting in a room where it is not used a whole lot. It is beginning to skip on virtually all CD-Rs which it did not use to do. Also, the drive always was pretty noisy (tracking noise).

Hide this!Advertise here!