SPDIF Pass through? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th March 2008, 09:38 PM   #1
zacster is offline zacster  United States
diyAudio Member

Default SPDIF Pass through?

I have a Monica tube dac (16 bit, up to 192 according to philips spec sheet) and also an HT receiver that is 24/192 capable. I'd like to be able to daisy chain the SPDIF to the two of them from the same transport. I was going to install an out jack on the Monica and run a digital cable from the Monica to the receiver.

The reason for wanting this is the Monica sounds great with CD, much better than the DAC in the receiver or the built in DAC in the player, but the receiver can do full 24/96 and sounds spectacular with 24/96 music recorded from LP to DVD on my Mac. I've played the DVDs through the Monica and it works but doesn't sound good at all, almost like the timing is off.

Is it as easy as just passing the signal through, or do I need something to keep the signal clean?
Old 14th March 2008, 10:16 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Why not add a second output to the transport?
Old 14th March 2008, 11:08 PM   #3
rossl is offline rossl  United States
diyAudio Member

SPDIF connections are point-to-point with a driver and a terminated receiver. Adding on more wire to the terminated end will just muck it up with reflected signal edges.

rfbrw has a good suggestion. add a new driver to the transport.
Old 15th March 2008, 03:25 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

For the price of the transport maybe I'll just buy another one. It'll be cheaper than trying to mod what I have, an already modded Toshiba 3960.
Old 15th March 2008, 01:09 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rossl
SPDIF connections are point-to-point with a driver and a terminated receiver.

Hence the use of build-out resistors and invention of the digital audio distribution amplifier.
Old 15th March 2008, 01:38 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zacster
For the price of the transport maybe I'll just buy another one. It'll be cheaper than trying to mod what I have, an already modded Toshiba 3960.
I doubt you could get a DVD player for the price of a TTL chip or two.
Old 15th March 2008, 02:04 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Maybe, but the mod is never just about the part. There's the jack, the wire, and the time I'd spend figuring it out since I've never done anything digital. And then there's that special tool that you undoubtedly need to finish... I think I need an excuse to get a new Oppo anyway.

Hide this!Advertise here!