Slaving a transport to a DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,
Firstly, I'm a novice at digital, so go easy.

I'd like to slave a Rotel transport (11.xx MHz clock) to a DAC (11.xx Mhz clock).

Questions:
1. I'll connect the clock directly to the DAC, but is there a circuit I can use to transmit the clock to the transport?
2. Is there a circuit I can use to act as a receiver at the transport?

Thanks
Ryan

How about this?

First you need to find the right pad to use, I don't have it in front of me, follow the traces to the 74HCU04 chip, one pad goes to an input the other to an output, you want the pad that goes to the input. Connect the 50 ohm resistor to the pad and the other side to a handy ground point, if there is a ground trace or via to the ground plane that would be best, but if not, if I remember correctly, the neg lead of the big cap is right there. The shield of the coax goes to the ground point and the center conductor goes to the 25 ohm resistor whose other lead goes to the pad. The two resistors are in series between the center conductor and ground with the connection between them at the pad. Thats it.

Just remember to keep the resistor leads as short as you possibly can. You want to use small low inductance resistors.

Its also a good idea to mechanically attach the cable to the board somehow such as a dab of holt melt glue.

Thats really it.

Hi,

I have a DAC with the master clock on board, and have tried to feed the transport the master clock over 50ohm coax. I tried the discrete 50ohm cable driver circuit in Horowitz and Hill, but I must have a gutless transistor or something, so I gave up and I've stuck with twisted pair for now.

I'd be interested in trying something simpler - like you've suggested.

So, TTL can essentially drive 50 ohms?

Cheers,
Phil

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.