Help this clueless newbie on a mission - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th March 2008, 01:54 AM   #1
poldus is offline poldus  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default Help this clueless newbie on a mission

Hi, this is my first post on the digital forum.
I want to use a yss901 crosstalk canceller dsp chip from a tv audio board to operate as an external device between my cd player and preamp.
fcserei is guiding me-he has already done it (inserting the chip into a digital amp)-in another thread. See: try ambiophonics with your speakers.
The problem is I know nothing about digital audio and need to have a lot of things explained.
He indicated that I need a spdif receiver before the chip and a transceiver after it. He mentioned the cs8404 or similar.

Why do I need these receivers?
After a google search I understand it extracts some necessary digital information. Will I have to hook some leg from the yss to this receiver chip for syncronization?
Or the receiver circuit will pass these data to the yss along the spdif cable?
Finally, where can I find a suitable receiver/transceiver implementation that I can use? I have found dacs use them but they donīt seem to exist as standalone boards.
J
Just found this. Could this be ithttp://www.audiotuning.de/english/in...53-cs8414.html
Old 8th March 2008, 02:29 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

or could I use this without the smaller chip (a DAC):
Attached Images
File Type: gif dac-platine.gif (19.4 KB, 375 views)
Old 8th March 2008, 03:00 PM   #3
Archwn is offline Archwn  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I love cats and I will help.

First, you just have that chip or you have the whole implimented board?

Second, do you know it's inputs and outputs? i2s perhaps?

I presume your preamp is a normal analog preamp, not the digital one that recieve spdif. Then you can focus on your CD player. You tap the dac chip's i2s input to your dsp chip input then put your dsp output back to the dac chip. you could design some kind of bypass when you want to compare the sound while your dsp chip is operating or bypassed. (this feature might be included on your dsp chip already pls check)

If you mean digital preamp, then the basic is the same but you have to do it before the preamp dac chip.
Old 8th March 2008, 10:25 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks,
I have the full board, not just the chip. It has both analogue and digital inputs and outputs. I donīt know what i2s means?

Fcserei advised me to disconnect the noisy power supplies on the board and use a clean 5v, which Iīll do.
My preamp/amp is the yamaha ax1, with digital inputs, but I wouldnīt dare to tinker inside. My source is a denon 2900 and the idea of tapping into its circuitry scares me without someoneīs guidance.
So my idea is to put the crosstalk canceller board in a box with its own power supply. Iīve found a spdif board from twistedpear audio thatīs not expensive.
But I could buy an inexpensive cd player and tap into it as you suggest. Would that spare the need for the spdif transceiver? Which option is more foolproof for an inexpert hand?
Hereīs the yssīboard and the spdif specifications:

http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/opus/opus.aspx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xx.jpg (94.8 KB, 371 views)
Old 9th March 2008, 08:57 AM   #5
Account Disabled

I'm interested in this chip, or the FIR filter used so I can play around with it on a PC (or is there equivalent software?), but I'm having trouble finding information. Any pointers?
Old 9th March 2008, 09:19 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

abzug,
Google the words: yss901 stero dipole
You will find a comprehensive pdf from yamaha. The chip is obtainable from the sony sdm n50 video monitor.
Old 20th March 2008, 10:16 PM   #7
Archwn is offline Archwn  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

i can see your chip using i2s. for more info about i2s, check out wikipedia.org

so your choice now would be:-

- get spdif out from your cd player / convert it to i2s / feed your dsp chip / get i2s out converted back to spdif to feed your digital amp. (please check if your amp also accept i2s but i wouldn't think so)

- start with your new cd player / tap those i2s signal out to feed your amp / tab it back to your dac (with some kind of switch/circuit/) / get analog output to feed your amp.

if i were you, my own choice would be to build a new dac with that dsp chip also in. from those of your two choice it is close to a new dac already.
Old 21st March 2008, 10:34 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I quite enjoy using the ampīs digital hall effects. So Iīd rather keep the yss insertion in the digital domain and avoid converting twice.
Of the two alternatives you described the first seems to suit me better since it remains digital and as a plus I will end up with a external box that I can use with any cd player in the future. ( my denon has already become finicky and will not read certain cdīs).

So, focusing on this route: I see I2s consists of word select, serial clock and serial data. I need spdif receivers that provide those connections both before and after the chip.

I have found a commercially available receiver board from twisted pear audio that I could order if you would confirm it might work.

http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/docs/wm8804/wm8804_manual.pdf
I have a huge sweet spot for cats.
Old 21st March 2008, 11:09 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default It's I2S Jim but not as we know it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Archwn
[B]i can see your chip using i2s. already

Try page 8 of the YSS901 datasheet.
Old 21st March 2008, 07:34 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I have already ordered the receiver boards.

Despite the non-standard I2s, the yss901 can adopt four different data formats. I have been advised on the other thread that one of them will likely work. Iīll keep my fingers crossed
Hereīs the receiver layout. Now I just need to know how to connect the boards.
Before any further detail, the receiverīs spdif goes to the cd playerīs digital out and the yss connects to the aif connector?
http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/imag...804_layout.jpg

Hide this!Advertise here!