Using 75-ohm digital coax cable for regular 2-ch analog audio?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, maybe a moderator could move it to a more appropriate one if it's not here...

Anyway, I'm wondering if I would run into any problems by using 75-ohm digital coax cable for 2-channel analog audio. The reason I want to use digital coax is that I'm using monoblocks with only one RCA connector, and there doesn't seem to be any mono audio interconnects in the price range I'm looking for ($20-25 a pair, at most).

I'm thinking that it'll be fine, but I'd rather look like a n00b and ask you guys than end up with an impedance mismatch problem or something like that...so is there any cause for concern?

If you don't make your driving impedance 75 ohms, and terminate the other end in 75 ohms, both highly unlikely for normal analog audio, your coax will behave like any other shielded audio cable...i.e. just fine. The 75ohms are only valid for RF frequencies under the above mentioned conditions....
If you're not one of the snake oil crowd, you might even be posisitively surprised

digital cable for audio...

What the hell is 'digital cable'? A cable is suited for a certain freq, range (up to 100 MHz or up to 1000 MHz with documented losses).
As long as the length of the cable is much shorter than the wavelength (which ALWAYS counts for audio) the ímpedance'of the cable (75 or 50 ohm) does not count. The only limitation is the CAPACITANCE the cable forms. For a 75 ohm cable its capacitance is about 80 pF per meter!

in my experience ....don't use stranded as suggested ...but most 75ohm cable is solid core anyway .....

a single solid core should give you a far cleaner sound ...multi strand imo seems to create a blured sound ...may be as each strand carries its own version of the signal all arriving slightly [very] out of phase ...but theres more going on than just that simplistic explaination.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.