CXD2552Q ( DAC ) datasheet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Does anyone of you have the datasheet of the Sony Pulse DAC CXD2552Q ? Or maybe a scan of the D/A part of the manual of CDP-X55ES/X77ES/X777ES ? I am interested in the digital filter chip CXD2554P as well.
Both chips are discontinued and PDF datasheets are only available from paysites.

I thank you in advance,

Jean-Paul

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi Elso,

Got your mail regarding the CD 80. I am working on it. Can you scan or copy the part with the CXD2552Q of one of the manuals in return ? CXD2554P is the DIL digital filter that is used with the CXD2552Q sometimes.

These ever returning service manual/ datasheet "problems" are a real timeconsuming and sometimes even an expensive matter.
IMO a big brand should give away manuals for free or for a small fee to service companies ( at least ). JVC is a good example of this practice, Onkyo too. It is tedious to hear the answer that devices THAT old are not supported anymore. It even occured once that I was told that finding the manual would take more time than repairing the device !! It should be a right for consumers to have the documentation for their devices. When repair is needed you just take the manual with you to the repair company. In the old days this was normal but people tend to lose such papers unfortunately.

Maybe a database of manuals and datasheets on this forum is a solution !?!? I am not sure if copyright questions may arise. Recently I discovered a Polish company that sells cd's ( for a high price ) with all the Sony manuals so I guess copyright issues are not very strict. Not to mention web-companies that sell datasheets of obsolete parts. Absurd. Datasheets of widely used parts should always be available instead of being deleted simply after 2 years.

BTW What do you think of these old Pulse DAC's like CXD2552Q and CXD2562Q ?

Regards,

Jean-Paul

jean-paul said:
Does anyone of you have the datasheet of the Sony Pulse DAC CXD2552Q ?
Jean-Paul

Hi, Jean-Paul

Here's a list of many apparatus who used the CXD2552Q:

Sony:
CDP195
CDP295
CDP395
CDP491
CDP690
CDPH3600
CDPH3700
CDPM31
MHC2600
MHC3600

Kenwood:
DP5040
DP7030
DP7040

There is also the CXD2552Q1, Q2 and Q3 if your interested.

Here a list for the CXD2554P:

Sony:
CDP195
CDP295
CDP395
CDP491
CDP690
CDPC301M
CDPK1
CDPK1A
CDPM11
CDPM12
CDPM21
CDPM41
HCDD117
HCDD117G
HCDH1100
HCDH1200
HCDH150
HCDH50
HCDH500
HCDH55
HCDH66
HCDH77

There is also the CXD2554M and the CXD2554MT

/Hugo - thinks the list of possible schematics increased a lot
:nod:

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
That is a fine list you presented Hugo ! But I only need to know the Xin-pin of the CXD2552Q for connecting a low jitter clock to the IC in question. And some info on the power supply connections and the delay line that seems to be used with this part. But a schematic can be enough. The datasheet will be very hard to get I think. www.chipdocs.com seems to have it but like I said before: paying for datasheets is contradictive in my eyes and I won't do that.

BTW how did you make that list so quick ?

Regards,

/Jean-Paul - wants datasheets and manuals of all the devices he sees or hears.

jean-paul said:

BTW how did you make that list that quick ?

Regards,

Jean-Paul\ wants datasheets and manuals of all devices he sees

The last thing I can offer you (for the moment) is a picture of the CXD2554M.

Not exactly what your looking for but maybe a bit of help.

/Hugo - Digs fast and lists quick :)

Attachments

• cxd2554m.jpg
    cxd2554m.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 1,604
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Thanks Hugo, I just discovered that the extra mainboard I have for the cdplayer in question probably has another DAC chip :confused:

The player is a CDP-591 and the extra mainboard I have has CXD2552Q with a separate digital filter ( CXD2554P ) hence my questions. It's too late now for disassembling the CDP591 for looking up the exact partnumber. I will look tomorrow. The board in the cd-player looks different from the one that's in my hand... Connectors, transformer and the shape of the board are the same however.

Thanks anyhow,

\Jean-Paul - thinks he has a wrong spare mainboard.

Sony DAC chip

jean-paul said:
Hi Elso,

Got your mail regarding the CD 80. I am working on it. Can you scan or copy the part with the CXD2552Q of one of the manuals in return ? CXD2554P is the DIL digital filter that is used with the CXD2552Q sometimes.

These ever returning service manual/ datasheet "problems" are a real timeconsuming and sometimes even an expensive matter.
IMO a big brand should give away manuals for free or for a small fee to service companies ( at least ). JVC is a good example of this practice, Onkyo too. It is tedious to hear the answer that devices THAT old are not supported anymore. It even occured once that I was told that finding the manual would take more time than repairing the device !! It should be a right for consumers to have the documentation for their devices. When repair is needed you just take the manual with you to the repair company. In the old days this was normal but people tend to lose such papers unfortunately.

Maybe a database of manuals and datasheets on this forum is a solution !?!? I am not sure if copyright questions may arise. Recently I discovered a Polish company that sells cd's ( for a high price ) with all the Sony manuals so I guess copyright issues are not very strict. Not to mention web-companies that sell datasheets of obsolete parts. Absurd. Datasheets of widely used parts should always be available instead of being deleted simply after 2 years.

BTW What do you think of these old Pulse DAC's like CXD2552Q and CXD2562Q ?

Regards,

Jean-Paul
Hi Jean-Paul,
X-in on the CXD2552 is pin 39. The frequency is 45.1584 MHz.
I have a dislike of these Sony DAC's. I found the AD1864 or AD1865 to perform better even with the digital filter retained. These were my first steps modifying the unit.
As for the digital filter I am a bit confused as the players mentioned by you are all using the CXD1244.
I agree that servicemanuals should at least be available
But for Sony the situation is not hopeless!
Ever tried to get a servicemanual for the Sequerra tuner, Proceed CDT-3, Krell preamplifier, Cello Encore preamplifier etc.??
:D
PS see also:
http://www.octave-electronics.com/lcaudio/intlcl6.shtml#sonycdpx777es
:cool:

sony cdp

hi jean paul,
need a favor from u..i have a sony cdp590 with a blown transformer..do u think can check ur cdp transformer secondary voltage for me so taht i can look for a replacement..Pls!!!
i cant find any service manual for this cdp..i would hope that its the same as yours..i can only check (by tracing the pcb) a few required voltage..thanks in advice..
:))

hi elso, greeting!!

rgds
tone

sony cdp

hi jean paul.

Check if your transformer is Tamradio 1-449-925-11.
err!! i have thrown away the faulty transformers...:(

If so I can send it to you, I have a few spares. They have 115 V and 230 V primaries.
yes, the original has 120v and 240volts also..guess i can give it a try..if u are kind enough to sent it to me..:))

Maybe you have some nice opamps for me in return ?
yes, sureeeee!!! that can be arrange..no worries..

we deal offline ok?.:))
.thanks

rgds,
tone

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
This is why I asked. It had to be cheap so I used the things that were laying in my drawer.

Extra +/- 15 V supply for the output opamps ( now OPA2604 ) and a low jitter clock with a separate 5 V supply from a separate winding of the Talema transformer ( junked from an old printerswitch ). The +/- 15 V PCB is an old PCB with XR4195 for those that remember it. Better "old" regulation than none at all :D

The shielding of the low jitter clock isn't finished yet, hence the drilled holes just behind the clock PCB.

Attachments

• cdpintern2.jpg
    cdpintern2.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 1,029
Help

Hi Jean-Paul,
So I helped you with the installation of a Guido Tent clock in a Sony player? I find that very funny!:clown: :D
BTW the clockoutput lead is way too long. Should be as short as possible.

I had some troubles with a extra supply in my combined player-DAC. When my discrete opamps were separately powered sound with the TDA1541 in the player was harsh. When I powered the opamps from the +/-15V from the players 7815 & 7915 sound was not harsh. I am a bit puzzled by this. I just pass it on. Maybe somebody knows why. I connected the grounds of course.:confused: :eek:

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi Elso, glad you think it's funny ! I still want to build your clock as time permits but Guido's won since it occupies so little space. The output cable is rather long but what is the problem with that ? With 45 MHz clock frequency I think the only way to avoid stray RF is to route the cable like this. BTW the cable is shielded of course. The clock can stray RF when not shielded as every clock module will. I will open the player again for mounting some extra ferrite rings on supply lines to the clock. It is it's first test-round this evening and I wanted to listen first before going any further.

I had some troubles with a extra supply in my combined player-DAC. When my discrete opamps were separately powered sound with the TDA1541 in the player was harsh. When I powered the opamps from the +/-15V from the players 7815 & 7915 sound was not harsh. I am a bit puzzled by this. I just pass it on. Maybe somebody knows why. I connected the grounds of course.

Did you also change "polarity" of the second transformer ? Or did you use extra regulators connected to the existing transformer ?

In this player I choose to use a Talema transformer that has 2 x 14 V and 1 x 9 V to feed opamps and clock from separate windings. Ground for the clock was only connected at the ground near the CXD2552Q, the opamps ground is the small black cable on the picture and is connected to one of the branches of the more-or-less starground in the Sony. No rubbish on the lines now.

Regards,

Jean-Paul

jean-paul said:
The output cable is rather long but what is the problem with that ? With 45 MHz clock frequency I think the only way to avoid stray RF is to route the cable like this. BTW the cable is shielded of course.
Jean-Paul

Hi Jean-Paul,
How about reflections at the end of the coax cable as it is not properly terminated (with 50 Ohm for a 50 Ohm cable or with 75 Ohm for a 75 Ohm cable?):bigeyes:

No I did not use extra regulators to the excisting transformer. One way or an other it did not harmonise i.e. the opamps with its own supply and the DAC (TDA1541) powered from the players electronics.:confused: :eek:

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi Elso, reflections on such a relative short length of cable seems a bit over-cautious. It could be shorter in the final version. BTW it isn't 50 or 75 Ohm cable I used in this one ( for the time being ). It was a quickie and a cheapie as I said. Just curious what I could press out of this old Sony.

Anyhow, tonight was the first test-round to hear what progression is made and I just finished listening to it.

First impression ? Very good compared to how it was before.

Second impression ? It needs some work, have the feeling decoupling could be better ( BG ? ) and some ferrite beads will be tried. There was not a single cap on the mainboard replaced till now, they are all original except for the ones on the new boards. Output caps are still 47 uF 16V electrolytics. I ordered some 4.7 uF 50 V N series BG that I want to try in this player's output. Maybe a significant difference as other experiments with BG indicated till now.

So overall it is a lot better, despite of the slightly "metallic" character the CXD2552Q seems to have. Can't change that I guess, to me most 1 bit systems have that in them. Stereo imaging is OK and there finally was depth in the image.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.