Isomagic w transformers in amplifier - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th February 2008, 09:43 PM   #1
TomasF is offline TomasF  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default Isomagic w transformers in amplifier

Hi
my next project might give extrordinary results, please help me identify the pitfalls!

At home I run a modified Cambridge Isomagic (S700) feeding a power amplifier. Toslink. Clock Lock. Passive volume control.

My idea for next project is to integrate the Isomagic DAC board into the power amplifier. In the amplifier I have only DC (fed from separate box power supply) so there will not be much 50 Hz AC disturbing the DAC operation. I can in the amp easily obtain +5V that I need for Isomagic digital section (or keep todays solution with batteries). The DAC chip will feed into a Lundahl transformer (1:10 or so, I live near their factory) and connect to the volume control. Connection for digital in and Clock Lock would be optical directly into the power amp.

Benefits:
Two opamps less to travel.
No signal cable to travel.
One capacitor less to travel (Isomagic have after mod a lot DC on output).
No power supply needed to opamps (+-15 V supply weak spot in Isomagic)

What specifications do I need for the transformer?
Do I need a resistor to ground as some is using or do I just connect the transformer to two outputs on the DAC?
If I power Isomagic with only +5V (or rather low noise +12 V regulated down to +5V) will the whole digital section inkl HDCD work?

All comments are appreciated. / BR Tomas Fridstrom

Hide this!Advertise here!