Where's Guido Tent?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone seen or heard from Guido Tent recently? I've ordered some parts from him, and now he's not responding to my emails. He doesn't appear to have logged on here for a few days now either.

His website says that he's moved his office, but that was weeks ago, and I placed my order before then as well.

Apologies if this thread is in the wrong section, feel free to move it if there's somewhere else more appropriate.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
mike-b100 said:
Has anyone seen or heard from Guido Tent recently? I've ordered some parts from him, and now he's not responding to my emails. He doesn't appear to have logged on here for a few days now either.

His website says that he's moved his office, but that was weeks ago, and I placed my order before then as well.

Apologies if this thread is in the wrong section, feel free to move it if there's somewhere else more appropriate.

I know that he is moving his office, and warehouse, and.. and... so he's probably knee-deep in issues. I'd give him a few more days.

Jan Didden

Re: Re: Where's Guido Tent?

janneman said:

I know that he is moving his office, and warehouse, and.. and... so he's probably knee-deep in issues. I'd give him a few more days.

Jan Didden

Indeed, we moved labs and offices. Most activities are up and running again, but we have some backlog, hence the delay in answers.

thanks for all the patience, we do our utmost best to get all back on trackk as it should be

best

Guido

I ordered a clock from him on 17th March and apart from the initial reply emails from him - I haven't received the clock or any response to my emails to him requesting confirmation of shipment - I'm in Europe and I got some boards today from France, ordered on the 18th.

What is so annoying is that he answered my sales inquiries immediately (within an hour) but now that the sale is made & paid for, no communication in 6 days!

Guido, you need to sort out your communications!

jkeny said:

What is so annoying is that he answered my sales inquiries immediately (within an hour) but now that the sale is made & paid for, no communication in 6 days!

Yes, same experience here. Very prompt on sales enquiries. Once payment was made, everything went quiet. It took over a month before it was shipped (let alone arrived) and support questions were completly ignored. And there was no office moving happening at that time.

DIY clock

jkeny said:
I'm actually looking to buy my clocks elsewhere - can anybody recommend a reliable, good source?
I assume you're talking about a clock circuit and not just the osc....

Why not DIY it?!

Start off with something simple...Tent Labs has a "freebie" schematic for their XO oscillators.

Or, for higher performance, try the Flea.

Or, for even higher performance, build the Kwack Clock v. 7.

If you were going to buy a clock with a re-clocker...well, you can DIY that, too. CarlosFM's reclock module, coupled with Tom Napier's divide-by-2, have worked very well for me.

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
Hollowman, your first 2 suggestions are effectively power supplys for a Tentlabs XO, so doesn't help with the slow shipping from Tentlabs.

I'm waiting on a VCXO ordered and paid from Tentlabs on 7 March. While I'm in Australia it still seems pretty slack. A plastic gear for my TEAC T1 ordered from Signal UK on 14 March arrived yesterday, and airmail postage usually arrives in a 7-10 day timeframe after posting.

Don't know what Guido's problem is with getting this stuff shipped out, but he seems to be burning friends in the diyaudio community at a pretty rapid rate.

Ok guys, lots of similar stories to my own - why wasn't this posted up before now to warn people off making the same mistake?

If I'd have known I wouldn't have ordered from him - now I'm going to have to recover the money from Paypal.

It's just a VCXO I'm looking for BTW, - I've order some kit (without clock) from AW DIY (in France) at the same time as Tent's clock & it arrived today!

I didn't want to diy it for a number of reasons - one being time (ha! that's a laugh now after having been shafted by TenT)

So has anybody got some good low jitter VCXOs to recommend?

spzzzzkt said:
Hollowman, your first 2 suggestions are effectively power supplys for a Tentlabs XO, so doesn't help with the slow shipping from Tentlabs.
hollowman said:
Tent Labs has a "freebie" schematic for their XO oscillators
My bad, here: It doesn't have to be a Tentlabs XO. If you can find a lower-jitter XO, go for that!

BTW (and this may only be important for newbies): the Kwack Clock uses a (two-pin) crystal -- not a 4-pin osc.

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
jkeny,

I think shafted is an overly strong description of what seems to be very slow turn-around on orders. What we are experiencing is a pain in the *** not "getting shafted".

The main problem is that there are few sources available to DIYers for VCXO's in the frequencies we need. Which is why people will continue to order from Tentlabs even if the service (such as it is) is painfully slow.

cheers
Paul

jkeny said:
I ordered a clock from him on 17th March and apart from the initial reply emails from him - I haven't received the clock or any response to my emails to him requesting confirmation of shipment - I'm in Europe and I got some boards today from France, ordered on the 18th.

yes, you're right

things are avalanching, lately, and yes, i do not always respond withing 2 or 3 days.

I lost about 50 (!) shipments in february, I am still tracing these, this takes some of my attention.

The new orders have gone out with delay. Most are sent using TNT regular service, at 7.50 euro for small packages.

I may choose a faster shipping option, at higher cost, what is your take on that ?

best

Guido

Guido,
As this seems to be the medium by which you choose to reply (I haven't had any reply to over 7 emails sent to you) - can you confirm that my order has been sent or what it's status is? This has been my request in the numerous emails I've sent!

Paypal payment €37.96 on March 17th!

Edit: Jitterbug - I didn't see this post before - glad you resolved it but I note it was without any help from Tent

I say shafted because that is what I call someone who takes my money and then disappears from sight. You know part of the transaction is about delivery of the goods in a reasonable time - it seems that experiences here report the opposite

spzzzzkt said:
Hollowman,

thats cool if you are looking for a XO - both jkeny and I have ordered VCXO. The problem is finding sources of low jitter VCXO in the correct clock frequency with a useful "pull" range.

cheers
Paul

hello Paul

As I said, i am very much behind. I am aware of the mails you sent, and also of this thread. At a certain moment I am ready to answer.

Please understand I am uncomfortable with the situation, but the backlog in work and mail is more than 7 days now.

No excuse, but a bit of background: Tentlabs more than doubles turnover every year, hence hard to keep up with the growth. in addition, we moved labs and offices which induced a delay of about 4 weeks. I am working hard to reduve that delay again.

I'll check your (and others') order, and the status of it tomorrow.

best

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.