Digital Audio Receiver / SRC Chips

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking for both a digital audio receiver and sample rate converter. I am looking for 192kHz capable devices. I know of CS8416 for an S/PDIF receiver but I do not know if there is anything else that compares or is better.

Also I am looking for a sample rate converter. Cirrus makes the CS8421 but again if there are other comparable or better units you could recommend I would appreciate it. I do not know what the TI or Analog Devices equivalents of these are. Thank you for any help!

WM8804 won't sync to 176.4K SPDIF in hardware mode

I am testing the Wolfson WM8804 SPDIF receiver and I am happy with the results.

except for one thing.

WM8804 won't sync to 176.4K SPDIF in hardware mode.

see page 29 of the Wolfson WM8804 pdf file data sheet. rev4.1

I was playing an assortment of DVD-Audio discs and practically all use a sampling rate of 96K or 192K. These sampling rates work, along with regular 44.1K, 48K, and 88.2K. I have one DVD-A that uses 176.4K, Neil Young - On the Beach. When I try to play this one, the WM8804 flashes the LOCK and TRANS_ERR lights and we get no audio...

The Wolfson PDF file says the part must have the PLL reconfigured in software mode to receive 174.6

bummer! :bigeyes:

And.. the worst part is that you have to somehow know that the data coming in is 176.4, because if you set the PLL for 176.4 then it must be set back to the original setting to make 192K work again later.

any updates to this? I'm also trying the 8804 in hardware mode and also finding it can't sink on inbound to 176.4k.

works on 44,48,192k (did not try 96).

the spec sheet talks a lot about how to handle the weird 176k mode but they kind of gloss over 176k in hardware mode.

curious if anyone found this to work or not, in hw mode?

I didn't pursue it any further. the project was on hold. hardware mode works fine on that chip but I have yet to find someone who has gotton software mode to fully work, and who is willing to explain the magic they had to do to get it TO work.

just trying each samplerate, in succession and looking for a lock-on indication might be the only way, but it sure seems like a sloppy way to do it.

I'm hoping there will be a new breed of receiver chips, eventually, that will have a proper api where software mode is a bit easier to use.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.