Surround Sound duration?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have recently purchased the ht-ddw700 surround sound system by Sony and am wondering if I should get a warranty for a year or two. How long do surround sound systems usually last? Is there a chance it just might break? I may be upgrading to the 790, but they are both very similar. Help please.

Is this just a home theatre or does it include DVD player etc?
If its all solid state, I probably wouldn't worry too much. Unless its poorly designed, it should last a few years at least.
Moving parts are more likely to wear out and fail.

A couple of years ago, I did buy a Sony DVD-R. Now that had one major design flaw, the transport kept failing, and it went back, under warranty, twice. It was classic 'the manufacturer knows there is a fault, but tries to reduce their losses by palming customers off'. I was told if it failed a third time, it would be replaced by the brand new, replacement design that doesn't fail.
However, they managed to design one part of the system beautifully. It failed for the third time, just days after the warranty ran out. I bet a few accountants somewhere were very happy, whereas I was £250 worse off.
So I guess I'm trying to say I'm sceptical about warranties. They're essentially an insurance scam, designed to make money out of you, otherwise you'd never see them, but I do suppose it can offer you peace of mind.

Just my opinion. I own PS3, so I can't hate Sony that much.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.