Surround Sound duration? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th February 2008, 08:00 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Surround Sound duration?

I have recently purchased the ht-ddw700 surround sound system by Sony and am wondering if I should get a warranty for a year or two. How long do surround sound systems usually last? Is there a chance it just might break? I may be upgrading to the 790, but they are both very similar. Help please.
Old 17th February 2008, 09:07 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Is this just a home theatre or does it include DVD player etc?
If its all solid state, I probably wouldn't worry too much. Unless its poorly designed, it should last a few years at least.
Moving parts are more likely to wear out and fail.

A couple of years ago, I did buy a Sony DVD-R. Now that had one major design flaw, the transport kept failing, and it went back, under warranty, twice. It was classic 'the manufacturer knows there is a fault, but tries to reduce their losses by palming customers off'. I was told if it failed a third time, it would be replaced by the brand new, replacement design that doesn't fail.
However, they managed to design one part of the system beautifully. It failed for the third time, just days after the warranty ran out. I bet a few accountants somewhere were very happy, whereas I was 250 worse off.
So I guess I'm trying to say I'm sceptical about warranties. They're essentially an insurance scam, designed to make money out of you, otherwise you'd never see them, but I do suppose it can offer you peace of mind.

Just my opinion. I own PS3, so I can't hate Sony that much.
Old 17th February 2008, 06:30 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

It is a Sony Home theatre system. It looks pretty stable but I guess I am just worried that the speakers might blow out or something? Is that something I should worry about or is it really uncommon?
Old 17th February 2008, 07:29 PM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

All insurance is gambling. You are betting your extra warranty payment against the cost of possible repairs.

Do you feel lucky? Well do you?
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?

Hide this!Advertise here!