Group buy on CD-PRO 2, Philips transport

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The subject of group purchase of this Philips transport comes on from time to time, so let's discuss if it makes sense at all and how many people would be interested. I don't think it makes sense to anybody from Europe, but America and other locations might gain on shipping charges, money transfers and possibly duty charges. The unit comes from Netherlands and shipping is around 80 Euro, plus handling fee, plus another $30 or so for money transfers. I don't think we will get much discount from Nico on the unit itself. When I reship it from Canada, it wouldn't be more than $10 USD in shipping for America and not more than $20USD for most other locations.

So, is it worth it?

Here's the info on transport, specs, aplications and cost: http://www.daisy-laser.nl/homeoptics/

That's another example what can be done with that transport.

Attachments

• cec.jpg
    cec.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 3,649
I contacted Nico about quantity pricing on the kits. If twelve units are purchased the Pro 2 transport drops from 208 to 185 but the other parts dont discount. The shipping on twelve to the US is 193 or about 15/unit and then individual shipping. Shipping on a single unit to the US is normally about 80. So only about a 50 savings over individual purchase. He also mentioned that a 6% charge is somtimes added at customs.

Peter-

I'm certainly interested. I remember your previous thread and looked at the Daisylaser / Homeoptics page. If I understand and remember correctly, the thing has a DAC so that if one builds a power supply and assembles it, you have a working CD player. Is that correct? And in your case, you also have an outboard DAC that you use with it, right?

I guess the digital output (SPDIF?) is readily available for use with outboard DACs?

Thanks. Good idea!

Hello guys and Gals, I am very interested in this and I am interested in the Group buy. Here is the DAC I am thinking of using.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And here is the website it is available as a kit for $200 US

http://www.scott-nixon.com/dac.htm

Any feedback, comments?

Anthony

Thanks Brian.

Coulomb,

Since you are building the player from scratch it would be good idea to place the DAC inside player (since it's so small), bypass Crystal receiver and use I2S interface directly. The DAC will cost you less than $50 in parts, especially when you can buy those TDA1543 chips for less than a buck.;)

Anyway, I,ve heard good comments about Scott Nixon DAC. Fred Dieckman built it too and was very satisfied.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.