Group buy on CD-PRO 2, Philips transport - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th February 2003, 01:50 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Default Group buy on CD-PRO 2, Philips transport

The subject of group purchase of this Philips transport comes on from time to time, so let's discuss if it makes sense at all and how many people would be interested. I don't think it makes sense to anybody from Europe, but America and other locations might gain on shipping charges, money transfers and possibly duty charges. The unit comes from Netherlands and shipping is around 80 Euro, plus handling fee, plus another $30 or so for money transfers. I don't think we will get much discount from Nico on the unit itself. When I reship it from Canada, it wouldn't be more than $10 USD in shipping for America and not more than $20USD for most other locations.

So, is it worth it?

Here's the info on transport, specs, aplications and cost: http://www.daisy-laser.nl/homeoptics/
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 27th February 2003, 01:55 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Here's the pic of the player I built using the transport.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 27th February 2003, 01:58 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Here's the back view.

If it will be enough interest, I can also make arrangement to machine 1" thick, aluminum platform base to hold the transport (like 47 Laoratory unit). It would be polished and anodized. You would have to built PS box which would also contain display unit.
Old 27th February 2003, 02:43 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

That's another example what can be done with that transport.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cec.jpg (11.8 KB, 3594 views)
Old 27th February 2003, 03:15 PM   #5
Bricolo is offline Bricolo  France
diyAudio Member

You always do such an awesome metal-artwork!
Your player looks gorgeous
Old 28th February 2003, 01:41 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I contacted Nico about quantity pricing on the kits. If twelve units are purchased the Pro 2 transport drops from 208 to 185 but the other parts dont discount. The shipping on twelve to the US is 193 or about 15/unit and then individual shipping. Shipping on a single unit to the US is normally about 80. So only about a 50 savings over individual purchase. He also mentioned that a 6% charge is somtimes added at customs.
Old 28th February 2003, 11:51 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Sound?

What is the sound quality like?
Discussion link possible?
(My current player is a Rotel 991 - diffrent kind of Philips transport, I believe)

TIA
Old 28th February 2003, 12:04 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If it will be enough interest, I can also make arrangement to machine 1" thick, aluminum platform base to hold the transport
I would certainly be interested in this, as well as any possible group buy on the transport.
Old 28th February 2003, 12:40 PM   #9
massimo is offline massimo  Italy
diyAudio Member

Another very good looking transport was the Canadian Sonic Frontiers SFT3.
Maybe its design could inspire you...... even without the very complicated cd compartment cover.
It was using a very thick top plate and the previous version of the CDM Pro.

http://www.anthemav.com/OldSitev1/frames/sfifr.html

The simple cd lid designed by this German company seems to be easy to make and not so bad.

http://www.akustik-perfekt.de/concertal.htm
Old 28th February 2003, 12:41 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default I'd be interested

It's used in some 'highend' stuff, including the Audio Aero Capitole. I've a lot of respect for Audio Aero.

Could this be combined with a group buy on a DAC or key DAC parts?

Hide this!Advertise here!